VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will Sleep Apnea Rule Out Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Rate this question

CrazyLarry

Question

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and have been receiving treatment unsuccessfully. I filed a claim under the Gulf War Illness as a presumptive illness under 38 CFR 3.317.

But now since the VA has me listed with Insomnia and sleep pattern disturbances they want me to go to a sleep study. I am worried if I am diagnosed with Sleep Apnea would that ruin my case for CFS. I ask this because a diagnoses of Sleep apnea could be considered the reason for none refreshing sleep.

Is there anyone who has been in this situation or is there anyone who could give me good information on this.

Thanks vets.

Crazy Larry.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I claimed both on my last claim. I also had both of those contentions sent to remand. I doubt I will get the CFS because during my C&P exam, the doc kept saying that it all could be related to my sleep apnea as well. So I guess it could go either way for mine but hopefully I get one or the other. I will keep everything updated as I get it. Good luck!

-Mario

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Don't rule out fibromyalgia. There is an odd relationship between CFS, FM, and SA

Fibromyalgia can be detected through blood work right? That's what my pcp told me. We did an ass load of blood work and she pretty much ruled that out. As far as she is concerned. It's one or the other for me.

-Mario

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Not what I am aware of. It took months of everything, blood work, imaging, poking/prodding, and a sleep study. It is a diagnosis of exclusion and closely mimics CFS. Essentially, they ruled everything else out. Best bet for treatment and diagnosis is through a rheumatologist.

A Rheumatologist can determine fibromyalgia by a physical exam and the blood work. The blood work is to rule out any deficiencies that would have characteristics or consistent abnormalities on laboratory testing.

In addition to complete blood cell (CBC) count and differential count, basic metabolic panel, and urinalysis, the following limited evaluation is reasonable.

Thyroid-stimulating hormone: Hypothyroidism shares many clinical features with fibromyalgia, especially diffuse muscle pain and fatigue

25-Hydroxy vitamin D level: Low levels can cause muscle pain and tenderness

Vitamin B-12 level: Very low levels can cause pain and fatigue

Iron studies including iron, total iron binding capacity, percent saturation, and serum ferritin: Low levels can cause fatigue and can lead to poor sleep and depressive symptoms; for patients with restless legs syndrome, percent saturation should be maintained above 20% and serum ferritin should be kept above 50 ng/mL

Magnesium: Low levels can lead to muscle spasms, which are common in fibromyalgia patients; magnesium supplementation can also improve symptoms in some fibromyalgia patients; recommended magnesium levels in fibromyalgia patients are at least 2 mEq/L

The erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) is often recommended as a routine laboratory test in fibromyalgia patients to rule out the presence of inflammatory disorders that may mimic symptoms.

Although it is not conclusive they have begun to test for antipolymer antibodies. Antipolymer antibody assay is a blood test. Antipolymer antibodies are present in approximately 50% of patients with fibromyalgia. This is a newer test they have been testing for beginning in 2014. Again it is not a conclusive test.

After the lab results are completed and any possibilities of any other infectious disease is ruled out then the Rheumatologist would be able to diagnosis you with fibromyalgia.

They have started getting away with having to have 11 of the 18 tender points as a basis of the diagnosis. This is due to the tender points are not always sore to the touch during the exam. Some may be and others may not.

So all in all fibromyalgia is determined by the Rheumatologist through bot Lab & Physical Exam.

Edited by BlastDaddy