VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare And Va Healthcare

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

I have IU and I have Medicare and will be buying a supplemental insurance to limit the out of pocket expenses. I ve been using the VA healthcare system for years. After discussing VA healthcare with a friend and my private podiatrist they are strongly recommending that I use private care to help with my pain. The issue is that the VA does not use the latest technology in healthcare. Right now, I get my meds from the VA and go in for check ups every 6 months and get refills. I also use audiology and mental health at VA.

Any comments

Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I totally agree with you.

If you have medicare and/or private insurance, I highly recommend using private healthcare providers. The VA is good for prescriptions provided they have the meds available prescribed by your private doctors. However, sometimes the VA wants to substitute a cheaper drug that may not be as effective. JMO.

• HadIt.com Elder

When the VA want's to substitute a drug (on the VA list) prescribed by an outside doctor. - - -

What justification is the PCP using? Did the PCP contact the prescribing doctor to OK the substitute?

The VA can and does do such things, although it's interesting to ask for the justification in writing as to why they are refusing to supply a drug on the VA's

list of approved drugs.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a surgery recently. The VA had never even heard of the surgery in question. It will take them ten years to start doing the surgery. It is so much cheaper just to give a vet with OSA a Cpap. My surgery is going to probably cost me something but I will fight that out with Medicare. Years ago I asked about a procedure for foot pain that was new but not experimental. The VA podiatrist had never heard of it either. I doubt they do it now because of cost. Cost is what drives these idiots. Long term health of vets is just a minor factor.