VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loans?

Rate this topic

ssgtob1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have had recent success, although it was a major headache. Go on EBenefits and download the VA letter. It will have a section in it that says is this considered permanent & total? YES. Then get a copy of your VA award letter that has the decision and the effective date of the 100%. Then you can fill out the form for TPD discharge http://www.disabilitydischarge.com/home/ The processor is called Nelnet. All they do is vette your application. Make sure you send in the award letter, the VA download letter and application. They will say we request from the VA, which the VA is in no rush. I got shafted as my application sat From April 2014 until June2, 2014. I said what is the issue, you have the award and the VA letter, no like its fraudulent. They relented and said ok we will accept your submission. now this was in MAy, when I said why hasnt this been forwarded to DOE (Dept of Education for discharge). Now you need to know who is the current loan holder. You also need to know who the guarantor of the loans are.

After Nelnet approves your application, you wont have payments on loans due, but the balance still accrues. WHy is this important? because at the end of the yr you will get a 1099-c, for the entire loan to be claimed on your income taxes as normal income. The loan places dont understand that. they think you just walk away scot free. You will owe taxes on that amount for whatever year they are finalized in. based on it being OCtober yours will probably finish in 2015.

Nelnet will forward info to the loan holder that you loan is to be discharged for disability. Now these jerks can take 90 days to write it off there books and let you know you are no longer liable. Like I said You have a 1099-c coming at the end of the year for that full balance so dont be shocked.....i finally got word that it was complete in September. I was worried since I'm buying a house if this would hold everything up. luckily it didnt.

hope I helped.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use