Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There A Downside?

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

Hi...I expect to submit a claim for PTSD in mid November. I already have an outstanding claim for tennitis and hearing loss (don't expect much there). Will submitting a new claim (PTSD) cause it to slow down the process? I understand it will join up with the tennistis/hearing loss claim and a bit paranoid it will slow everything down. Any thoughts about this? Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

I filed an FDC claim for MDD in june of 2013. I had my knee replaced in February of this year. One claim was joined to the other and then at my C&P exam for MDD they determined I had PTSD and changed my claim to that. So 15 months after my initial MDD claim and 8 months after my knee replacement (which is 100% for 13 months, so I understand) I am still in the gathering of dust (evidence) stage. So in my uneducated opinion, yes I think it may slow everything down.

At least in my case it appeares to have.

Take care

Yes, it will slow your award down not the process as VA keeps changing things and now they are combining all the open claims. For example if you go on the ebenefits and look at your claims it now states that the VA will work to resolve all open claims to send out 1 overall rating. So if one claim is done and you put one in the Hooper before the previous claim is closed then you will not receive an award prior to both being complete is my understanding. My claim for my PTSD was completed, but my status didn't change until my claim for my feet was completed as well.

Anything and everything slows your claim down. The VA has two speeds...

1. Extremely painfully slow.

2. Worse than the above.

However, avoiding filing a claim because it will slow your existing claim costs you money, because the later you file, the later your effective date will be. You are faced with two very disgustingingly bad choices:

1. Slow your claim down.

2. Maybe, just maybe, NOT slow your claim down but cost yourself money in regard to your effective date.

Thank you all. I'm going to go ahead and submit the claim as the 10% tinnitis claim won't do much for my overall percentage as it stands today (60% for IHD - Agent Orange presemptive). I won't get anything for the hearing loss (or extremely doubtful).

Hi...I expect to submit a claim for PTSD in mid November. I already have an outstanding claim for tennitis and hearing loss (don't expect much there). Will submitting a new claim (PTSD) cause it to slow down the process? I understand it will join up with the tennistis/hearing loss claim and a bit paranoid it will slow everything down. Any thoughts about this? Thanks in advance!

IMO it will slow down your initial claim. Let the cards fall where they may with your initial claim. You will need a diagnosis of PTSD and a documented history of psychological treatment for such diagnosis. If you can get into counseling at your local VAMC. Do it too. If your a Combat Veteran or have received a campaign medal. Go to your local VetCenter and ask to speak to a counselor. They don't turn Combat Veterans away and it too can support your claim for SC for PTSD. Especially, after a determination is made on your initial claim. IMO your looking at least a 12 to 15 month wait on your initial claim. SC is never a short or fast process. Best of luck.

• In Memoriam

I haven't seen MH at the VAMC ever turn away any veteran, ever.

Far as the claim goes, adding to it will join your other claims and slow down some. This is so sad, but it may be changing. I just talked to jerrel and he reminded me of how many times we have been screwed over. Skepticism, I could not find the word in my mind.

If it were true VA Pronounced I have been a drug and practicing alcoholic and wraped up in prision most of my life and I was born with a broken neck ( 5 neck vertitbrae). This is so sad that any Veteran is treated this way. They have taken my 40 clean and sober away in one pronouncment. I have never been in prison of even jail since leaving service. I have been a good father and colleges don't take instructors that have been in prison. Sec. has seen what my wife thinks about this signed in blue ink.

My advice would be, that if it is a hearing problem forget it. not worth it. Your other claims are valuable. You can pick hearing up after major decision any time in the future. It won't change much as you get older and will most likely always be there for claim. O to 10% is not worth slowing anything.

Tell psych that you want Vet center and they will work you in there. You can use both. Good luck.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity