VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anxiety, Depression, Paranoid, Unable To Trust, Recovering Alcholic, Can't See The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Rate this question

knap-sack

Question

I am under a VA psychologist care for PTSD, I put a compensation claim in a couple months back. This forum has been such a god send. I have read the only one that will look after your claim is you. That is why I am here, I might have screwed up on my claim. But I wanted to send in everything and be completely honest. I put three different events for my stressor's one of the stressors I tried to gather the information but was unable. I kept running into a wall every time I thought I might have something for evidence.Sending this claim in I have had to become a private detective a lawyer and a doctor. I am a high school graduate and I never was the sharpest pencil in the class. But their are things that I do very well. Doctor lawyer and detective is not my area of expertise. That why this forum I have been browsing for months I am eternally grateful.

I have one stressor listed that is cut and dry, they cant dispute it. The other stressor I know it happened and it was really big. I know the VA can gather the evidence but I ran into road blocks. My friend was killed in a horrific way. I had no document to include for the stressor but I put it on the PTSD Stressor form. I looked on E-Bennies and they have requested over 600 items for evidence from third party. 600 items!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! requested in gathering evidence third party. I am totally confused bewildered lost. My one stresssor that is documented by VA Doc I had all the evidence. it was cut and dry. I added the second stressor of friends death and now it is saying possible completion 03/2016. Is this normal?

The hospital and doctors have all been top notch, I want to tell the world how great the doctors nurses and every body have been to me but now we are in the claim phase and I cant talk see or ask questions. I dont trust anybody to give my POA too. I debated and debated about the second stressor but I had to put it down because it is part of my life and I cant act as though it didnt happen for respect for my friend. I just needed to share this and I'm glad its off my chest.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome, knap-sack.

You are among friends and we care about your struggles.

You shouldn't have to become a lawyer and detective but you're no stranger to The Way Things Are as opposed to How We Wish They Were and that acceptance is a big help in advancing your situation towards the better.

Your description is kind of general and for people to help they will need specifics. Whern you're ready to do that it's be good to post in PTSD claims section here: http://www.hadit.com/forums/forum/76-ptsd-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-claims/

Again, Welcome! :smile:

It is always good to have listed more than one stressor. But the VA only needs proof of one of them. It could be the most minor stressor,to your way of thinking, but it could be the easiest one to prove.

"requested over 600 items for evidence from third party."

Could these be private medical records or SSA records? Do you get SSDI ?

It could also maybe be a typo

"My friend was killed in a horrific way. Was this an incident that would have been noted in a Morning Report?

Have you googled his name and sought any possible Obituary in his Hometown newspaper that could reveal , when he died and where and maybe even why?

"The hospital and doctors have all been top notch, I want to tell the world how great the doctors nurses and every body have been to me"

That is wonderful. I gripe about VA all the time but I also know they have some excellent employees whose only concern is to give veterans the care they need, with respect.

Stressors....in 1966 my husband put the "Old Man" ( their Commander -USMC Vietnam) into a body bag and got him on the helo.

It was devastating to them all that the Old Man was gone.

It was one of multiple stressors he listed.

When we went to the wall they had no problem directing him to one or two of his unit buddy's panels but the Old Man wasn't on the wall.He remembered his name and hometown and date of death ( info the Wall people need) but he wasnt there.

He must have survived his horrific wounds but a corpsman had pronounced him dead. That happened sometimes after a battle.

WIAs in Vietnam, because of the choppers , often got medical treatment faster than people here in the boonies of NY do.

If this had been his sole stressor , it would probably not have been acceptable to VA.Because he thought this Marine had died and he didnt die.

He had many other stressors that they could confirm......probably the same one the shrink at Newark VA in 1983 verified as he was there in Vietnam with this same USMC unit ,when one stressor occurred.

VA actually tried to help us find the Old Man and VA found an employee at VA in Chicago with the same name who called us but it wasn't him.

At least my husband knew he had lived and was not on the Wall.

(BTW the Old man was 25 years old. Most of the Marines on this specific maneuver were only 18-19 years old.)

That is why I always suggest listing more then one stressor if you can because odd situations like this can happen.

knap-sack,

Try to locate some of your old navy buddies who may have witnessed or have knowledge of your friend's horrific death and ask them to provide you with buddy statements with details of the incident.

Berta's suggestion about searching for your friend's obituary is a great idea. Even if the obituary does not list the cause of death, it should list the names of family members and possible close friends (pall bearers) who would have information regarding your friend's death. Family members may also have documents (including military records) regarding his death which would help with your claim. Just check the phone book and city directory in your friend's hometown for info on how to locate the persons mentioned in the obituary. You could also contact the funeral home which handled your friend's funeral and ask them to put you in touch with his family. JMO

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

I am under a VA psychologist care for PTSD, I put a compensation claim in a couple months back. This forum has been such a god send. I have read the only one that will look after your claim is you. That is why I am here, I might have screwed up on my claim. But I wanted to send in everything and be completely honest. I put three different events for my stressor's one of the stressors I tried to gather the information but was unable. I kept running into a wall every time I thought I might have something for evidence.Sending this claim in I have had to become a private detective a lawyer and a doctor. I am a high school graduate and I never was the sharpest pencil in the class. But their are things that I do very well. Doctor lawyer and detective is not my area of expertise. That why this forum I have been browsing for months I am eternally grateful.

I have one stressor listed that is cut and dry, they cant dispute it. The other stressor I know it happened and it was really big. I know the VA can gather the evidence but I ran into road blocks. My friend was killed in a horrific way. I had no document to include for the stressor but I put it on the PTSD Stressor form. I looked on E-Bennies and they have requested over 600 items for evidence from third party. 600 items!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! requested in gathering evidence third party. I am totally confused bewildered lost. My one stresssor that is documented by VA Doc I had all the evidence. it was cut and dry. I added the second stressor of friends death and now it is saying possible completion 03/2016. Is this normal?

The hospital and doctors have all been top notch, I want to tell the world how great the doctors nurses and every body have been to me but now we are in the claim phase and I cant talk see or ask questions. I dont trust anybody to give my POA too. I debated and debated about the second stressor but I had to put it down because it is part of my life and I cant act as though it didnt happen for respect for my friend. I just needed to share this and I'm glad its off my chest.

When and where did you serve ?

Now that you are in the claims process, is a very important time for you

to talk to and ask questions of your health care providers.

Now - is NOT the time to shut down communications with them.

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho

Could these be private medical records or SSA records? Do you get SSDI ?

It could also maybe be a typo

"My friend was killed in a horrific way. Was this an incident that would have been noted in a Morning Report?

Have you googled his name and sought any possible Obituary in his Hometown newspaper that could reveal , when he died and where and maybe even why?

Berta I am not getting SSDI my only thought like yours is its has to be TYPO. I have tried the obits in hometown no luck but I have one major problem. I cant remember his full name, I can only remember his first name. The guy that killed him my roommate I can only remember one name his last name its been driving me totally NUTS i cant remember. I have suppressed this for so long. I am still contacting people on face book when I see they were in my squadron but no luck so far. Their is a guy I have been calling down in Florida I remembered his full name but he never answers his phone nor does he have an answering machine, my only guess is maybe he is over seas working. This is screwing with me bad. I cant remember. I was a witness in the Court Martial and I have testimony on record my roommate was sentenced to Levenworth prison for the murder I tried to get that record but without knowing full name I failed. I would think it would be in base records, but the base is closed they shut it down.

Now that you are in the claims process, is a very important time for you

to talk to and ask questions of your health care providers.

Now - is NOT the time to shut down communications with them.

Carlie The health care providers are outstanding, I talk to them several times a week. I am at VA hospital every week to see my VA Psychologist, It is the Phase of sending in a claim and they ask for more info I send it in and wait and wait and then I go on E-Bennies and see request for 600 items from third party, I had really sent in a FDC except for the info for my second stressor.

I am thankful for you all, I been reading and learning from you all and I finally had to come in and share this. I have worked and made a living from what I learned in the Military and I am good at it. But I feel completely wore down. I feel like a race engine that has been running at 10,000 RPM for all these years and I am afraid I am going to throw a rod right through my block. Heart attack, Stroke, or a complete mental break down and go run and hide. My Doc say I look wonderful and I am making progress. But I need to be able to talk about more than my stressors and I just dont trust anybody to spill all the beans on the table. I can tell just in these two posts it helps to share and get feedback here.

Thank you

knap-sack,

You only recall the first of name of your friend who was killed and you only recall the last name of your roommate who murdered your friend. It would probably be normal for you to suppress some of the details of such a traumatic event.

A murder of a service member by another service member on a military installation would be well documented. Records would have been created during the investigation by the Naval Investigative Service (NIS) and would include your interview. Records of the court martial would have been created by the Judge Advcate General's (JAG) office and would include your testimony during the court martial. As Berta mentioned, your unit's morning reports should include info on the incident. All of these records would also include the names of other persons who have direct knowledge of the incident. If medical personnel were summoned to the scene, these records would also contain info on these incident. There is no shortage of records. You just need to come up with the victim and/or defendant's full name to get the process started to access the records you need to support your claim. You should be able to request copies of the personnel roster of your unit. More than likely you would be able to recognize and recall the full name of your friend and/or your roommate after reviewing your unit personnel roster. You can get copies of unit personnel rosters and morning reports through the National Archives. You can find info on how to request the records at www.archives.org. Once you have the names of your friend who was killed and/or the name of your roommate, you could then request additional records regarding the actual murder and subsequent investigation and court martial.

Good luck.