VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Problem With My Monitor Or What?

Guest morgan

I am having a problem on my monitor but not sure what the source is. I have about an inch wide beveled strip across the width of the screen that flickers and moves up and down, and the task bar keeps changing size. It gets so narrow it's unreadable. I have tried the monitor adjustments but to adjust it to make it readable, leaves a much narrower vertical screen than I have had. About an inch at the top of the screen is black. Can someone tell me if the monitor needs to be replaced, or could it be something else?

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I would replace that monitor with a flat screen LCD if I was you. They are pretty cheap if you shop and well worth it in my opinion. I have one that I paid 139 bucks for that is 17" and I love it..

• HadIt.com Elder

"more likely than not", it's the monitor. However, similar symptoms can occur if the A/C power is low, or the computer power supply is getting tired.

Sounds to me as if the monitor power supply is on it's last legs.

New CRT monitors are going for $99 or so, LCD's are higher.

I am having a problem on my monitor but not sure what the source is. I have about an inch wide beveled strip across the width of the screen that flickers and moves up and down, and the task bar keeps changing size. It gets so narrow it's unreadable. I have tried the monitor adjustments but to adjust it to make it readable, leaves a much narrower vertical screen than I have had. About an inch at the top of the screen is black. Can someone tell me if the monitor needs to be replaced, or could it be something else?

Thanks.

• In Memoriam

This could be a video card problem (problem below). If you buy a new monitor you could have the same results as you now have.

If you have changed your Frequency range settings in control panel, to other than your monitors frequency accidentally, this could present a problem and possibly damage the monitor.

I assume that you are using XP?

Look at the back of your monitor, or the manual that came with the monitor, and see what the refresh frequency rate for your monitor is.

Refresh Rate and Drivers Settings:

• Go to Start Bar
  • Control Panel
  • Click Display Icon
  • Click Advanced Tab
  • Click the Monitor Tab
  • Ensure that the correct refresh frequency rate is properly set for your monitor (60 to 75MHz usually)
  • Set correct frequency
  • Click Properties
  • Should get a message that this device is working properly
  • Click Driver Tab
  • Roll back the monitor driver or update the monitor driver.
  • Close all boxes after setting the refresh Frequency rate and dealing with the driver update
  • Reboot if necessary

Could be a Plug Pin:

Sometimes when moving a computer the monitor has to be unplugged. Upon re-plugging the monitor in, sometimes a pin in the plug, can be bent toward the plug chassis grounding out the pin or missing the Video Card plug holes. Simply, straighten out the pin. Sometimes you get lucky.

Think First:

I have been given many monitors, by people who did not know about this problem, before they hurriedly purchased a new monitor. I repaired these monitors and gave them away.

PS-2 plugs:

This same pin problem, can happen with PS-2 plug mouse and PS-2 plug keyboard. Straighten out the pin.

Graphics Card:

If the problem is a graphics card? You can purchase a GeForce FX 5200 (example) for about $30.00. These monitor cards are easy to replace. When you reboot XP it will as for the installation disk. Just pop the disk into your CD drive and start the set-up. Set up runs your refresh rate and drivers automatically.

New Monitor last resort:

I would suggest that as a last resort you purchase a new monitor. I have a Samsung 192N SyncMaster. The drivers are Nvidia running with a 60Mhz refresh rate. I bought this monitor about three years ago for 650. You can get this same monitor for less than 200 now. This is a 17" flat screen LCD.

If you purchase a new monitor, chances are that you will also have to upgrade your Video Card anyway if you want full use of the upgraded monitor (3D etc.).

Guest Dataman

I doubt it's Video Card. Sounds exactly like the Monitor is on it's last legs. Don't pay somone to fix it. Not worth it. After you have check other options. Replace the Monitor with LCD.

www.newegg.com

Get a 19" if you can afford it.

Try to get one with Sub D and DVI Inputs. This way if you get new computer (or if your current one supports DVI) use that for better picture (less ghosting).

Biggest problems with LCD's is you can get one with dead pixals.

I have purchased about four "Rosewell's". Not a dead Pixal. One Benq (no dead pixals). I have 2 Dell LCD's. No dead pixals. One I did get was for lady at Costo in Pkg with computer (Compaq). She could have taken it back.

Cosco is good place to buy it (know mail order prices). They take anything back. NO Questions.

Later