Non Va Formulary Drugs

Rate this question

MarineDog

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The VA has to go out and buy it for you. Just go on contact VA on the VA health care website and file a complaint. I have been getting non-formulary medicine (AciPhex) since last May. At first the clinic nurse gave me a bunch of crap, and then the primary care physician sent in the request for it and it was denied.

I furnished a letter from my private physician stating that I needed the AciPhex and that I tolerate it very well. However I do not tolerate Prilosec, Nexium, or Prevacid (formulary). I faxed it to my VA PC doctor and asked again that it be filled. I then got on the website and filed a complaint that it was taking too long and that I had run out and had to buy it myself.

Two days later there was a knock on my front door and there it was. I have been getting the non-formulary AciPhex since that day with no problems. These medications are for Barrett's Esophagus and has not been service connected yet, still awaiting claim so it costs me $8 co-pay.

Don't buy that stuff just because it is not in the formulary. I think all the reg states is that the VA primary care doctor coordinate with the private care doctor. My doctor just wrote about a two sentence letter to whom it may concern and I faxed it to the clinic. THE VA DOES BUY NON-FORMULARY DRUGS WHEN THAT IS WHAT THE VET HAS BEEN PRESCRIBED AND HAS BEEN TAKING. THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO CHANGE YOU MEDICATION LIKE THAT.

I had an outside urologist as well as 2 VA docs ask for a non VA formulary prescription (Sanctura) for me. All sent letters documenting why it was needed and why substitutes don't work. I went through the Spokane VA patient advocate with the documentation. I had to call her each week for several weeks to get an answer. Finally was told "no". I asked for the head pharmacist's decision in writing. He stated since the drug "hadn't been out for 2 years yet and wasn't tested by the VA" that he wouldn't approve. The drug had already been approved by the FDA 2 years prior. Even the drug manufacturer requested a meet with the VA pharmacist. I never heard anything back from any of them, and when I called, the manufacturer states they can't get anyone at VA to talk to them. Even with private insurance, I pay $3.00 per pill (1 twice a day). Good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rocky:

I started out with Acidiflex and the VA switched me to Omeprazole which works but not as good and now I have a lot of burping. I sure wish I could get back on Acidiflaex. It costs about 100 bucks amonth if it is on your dime.