Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mdd Vs Ptsd

Rate this question

USCG CWO4

Question

So a year and a half ago I submitted a DBQ for MDD. During the C&P exam they said I had PTSD and I have since sent in all my paper work for that, including records etc. I just checked today and its still in the gathering of evidence stage, i was told by the DAV that they are asking for military records from the military. So I will continue to wait.

My question is if they deny me for the PTSD which they diagnosed, will they then consider me for the MDD? I submitted 2 years of evidence from my private psych doctor with my claim for MDD. Also how could they deny a claim for which they diagnosed me?

thanks

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Did the MDD C&P determine if it was SC? There should be a section showing the opinion.

Remember, you can only have a single MH rating, even if you have multiple diagnosises.

• HadIt.com Elder

I learned to claim whatever has documentation in my records before I chase after something that needs to be proved such as PTSD even if you have it. For some reason the VA wants to steer every vet into making a PTSD claim knowing it will take much time to validate all the stressor stuff. Also, the PTSD C&P exam contains a checklist a mile long. You can get 100% for MDD easier than PTSD if it is documented in your records. The VA SC'ed me for about five emotional disorders including PTSD, but I was compensated for only one which was my original claim back in 1973. If PTSD and MDD are co-morbid which means they make each other worse then that is OK. The thing is that depression, anxiety, symptoms of dissociative disorder and even hallucinations can be symptoms of PTSD and can stand alone as disorders. It is a real mess when some shrink tries to distinguish mental health symptoms in terms of compensation. They will probably throw in an anti-social personality disorder and TBI just for kicks.

John