Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Better Call Va Before Going To Emergency Room

Notorious Kelly

My wife works for a hospital in claims. Her advice: If a vet comes into the ER the hospital is supposed to notify the VA within 24 hrs. If their is an admission to the hospital from the ER, they are supposed to call the VA immediately. If the hospital fails to do this, they are denied payment from the VA and have to eat it. Consequently if a VET states he has any other insurance including medicare, they will automatically bill these entity's. This is due to the fact they do not like to deal with the VA. Her advice if you plan on using the VA to go to another ER, don't tell the hospital you have any other coverage. This will force them to deal with the VA and you will not be charged.

A national American Legion representative met about 80 veterans in Post Falls Wednesday afternoon (Dec 10, 2014) to discuss issues surrounding the Veterans Administration Hospital in Spokane.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_3cf8736e-47d1-58e2-b871-82e4e4106863.html

Other veterans wondered why the administrator didn't bother to come to the Post Falls meeting, calling her inaccessible and unapproachable.

"She wanted to be here, but I said 'Oh, hell no.' If she did, I wouldn't have got anything done today," Celli said. "I know you guys wanted her to be here so you could crucify her, but that is not what needs to happen."

• HadIt.com Elder

If I am having a heart attack or bleeding to death does anyone think it is a good idea to ask to go to VA ER? It would take me half an hour to get there. If you have medicare or other insurance go to nearest ER if you want to live. Do you want to recover in a VA hospital? Think about it. Hospitals are very dangerous places. Incurable staff infections infests them. The faster you get out the longer you will live. Doctors and hospitals killed my mother and almost killed me from infections.

John

To Whom It may Concern: If you are a SC Vet and eligible for VA Medical Care, you can go to any NON VA Hospital Emergency Room and get treatment to "Stabilize" your Emergency Medical condition. The VA will Pay for the Emergency Room care and provide Transportation to the Nearest VA Hospital that can treat your "Stabilized" condition. If the VAH doesn't have a bed, DR,Equipment or whatever else that would prevent them from treating you, the VA Emergency Dept "MFIC" Head Dr or Administrator can authorize the continued treatment at the Non VA Hospital. You have to get names rank and blood type to prove you contacted or attempted to cont the VAH.

As for your Medicare Card, don't even carry it, one of your loved ones could put you in a real financial trick bag, to the tune of the Medicare 20% copay. Your a SC Vet, hide your Medicare card and give explicit instructions to your family or carry a note in your wallet and put the VAH hospital on your cell phone under 911. 20% of $100K Hospital bill would definitely ruin your day, don't take a chance.

I get 100% of all my medical care at the Det VAH and have been eligible for Medicare since 2012. I pay the 20% copay out of my pocket for minor office calls at non VA Drs. My decision, I carry the largest deductible available for part B coverage at a cost of about $50 per mos, for now. If I need a heart operation or just about anything major other than general care, I'll switch to the Medicare full boat no copay or deductible Part B at a cost of $150 or so. I want the Pros from Dover if we're doing life and death surgery.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• HadIt.com Elder

I recently had a $100,000 dollar hospital bill for very new operation for OSA. Medicare paid for it along with a few thousand from my medigap. Medicare does not pay what hospital charges. They might pay 25% because almost all hospitals take assignment as does Blue Cross. I can tell you that the most minor surgery can become life and death if you get a drug resistant staff infection. I got one from a doctor's office and four years later my foot still hurts. A nice chunk of my foot had to be cut out simply from getting a shot deep in my foot. Gastone, I know what you are saying. The VA owes you the best of care. The VA should be the light on the hill for medical care. They are not by any means. They are years behind IMO. I sure would never put money over my health. I can't believe I got that staff infection and what it turned into. 6 weeks on daily infusions of antibiotic soup and daily repacking of a wound in my foot that made me jump and shout. If you have ever had a deep wound unpacked with gauze and then repacked with long wooden sticks you would never not have Medicare A&B. If I had to have my wife drive me for 6 weeks and 7 days a week to the VA I would just shoot myself.