VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newbie Ptsd

Rate this question

Dfinnusmc

Question

Hello,I am a Gulf war combat vet,0311 with combat action ribbon.I was referred by my private MD to see a shrink,I lost my job and went to the va.The folks at the va who entered my info into the system referred me to the nys vso and he put together a Fully developed claim for ptsd and ringing in ears.I went to the va psychiatrist and she diagnosused me with ptsd and no other mental conditions

And put me on meds(2d visit she doubled the dose)and I start counseling

next week.I guess I am not really sure what happens next...never really thought about compensation before but my wife separated from me until I get my head together just wondering what time line is for counseling and th en c&p exam?

Thanks for any info your site has been very informative appreciate it.

Respectfully

D.

4 answers to this question

• Founder

Dfinnusmc -

Keep in mind that your exams for compensation and you treatment at the VA by a psychiatrist and counselor are different things. Your VA psychiatrist and counselor are on the health side of things and they will follow you with appointments and medications. They are not involved in your claims process. It is likely that you will be called into your local VA Hospital to be seen by psychologist for a compensation and pension exam for PTSD, this is different than your counseling sessions.

I hope more folks jump in, I've taken my meds and I'm afraid I'm not explaining it well. It is confusing I know.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup, what Tbird said. Usually FDC's are done within 6 - 9 months and possibly even less. I've heard of some done in 120 days. The problem with your FDC (claim) is that it sounds like you haven't had a C&P exam, yet, and therefore you could be denied the first time around, due to the lack of diagnosis.

Your counseling should be set up fairly quickly. You can also be seen at a Vet Center, near you, and if there isn't one close by, they also contract w/local psychologists for private and group sessions. I recommend Vet Centers because, although they get their funding from the VA, they are separate, from the VA, and easier to talk to.

You'll need a C&P exam, by the VA, who will need to diagnose PTSD, even tho your current shrink already diagnosed it. It'll be very important that you meet the criteria. You may want to review the criteria, ahead of the exam, and make a list of the symptoms you have, so you don't forget. All vets are different, as are their symptoms. You should be sure to tell them the truth, at the exam. Try not to minimize your symptoms, especially things such as suicidal or homicidal ideations. Those are very common in PTSD vets.

Welcome to Hadit. Sorry the Army was full and you had to settle for the Marine Corps! ;-) (just my inter-service humor kicking in)

pr

Just wanted to let everyone know,I was rated at 80%70% PTSD 30 gulf war and 10% for tinnitus.

I started in October 2014 and was completed in July 2015.

I wanted to say this forum helped me navigate through the process.

semper gumby