Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing For Ss With Ptsd

Rate this question

sdvet33

Question

I was diagnosed by VA with PTSD, MDD and all the other related symptoms in 2012. FIled my claim in 2012. It's going on 3 years my claim is being worked on with no end in sight. I have a few years of weekly treatment records from v.a facilities.

I was told i should file for SS disability. Wondering about this Social Security Disability stuff. I know theres different type i.e SSI, SSDI, adn so forth but i'm kind of confused of what i'm should file for. I'm 33, went in when i was 18 got out at about 30 yrs old and haven't worked since then so i haven't paid into social securtiy much. I haven't worked in about 3 years because of my disability. WHat kind of S.S should i apply for? Should i wait until my Service connection is done first. I think it might be a long time. FIled my claim in 2012 and did my c and p in 2013 and they lost it and still hasnt been found so i think it might be a long time. I'm thinking i should file for some type of S.S now but don't know what type and if it's even a good idea to do it without a service connection rating yet. I have plenty of V.A medical records with diagnosis to show.

Any info would be appreciated. Sorry for being so unorganized with the writing. I'm just confused and got so many questions that keep on popping in my head.

thank you in advance

Thanks for all the great information. I'm going to file online like every one said. I thought it was better to file in person but it seems like everyone is in argreeance that online is better. I'm going to do that as soon as possible.

Currently the only income i have is from educational benefits. In other words i don't have any income that i have to claim. I didn't even file any taxes the last 2 years because i haven't had any earned income. I worked work study at v.a for about a month and that didn't work out to well either. So nothing in almost 3 years.

Create an account on SSA.gov. After you get your account set up, your profile will tell you if you have worked enough credits to qualify for disability benefits and the estimated amount per month if you were found to be disabled.

Edited by Kimmy