VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Start A Business And Get A Degree Using Vocrehab?

Rate this question

SMCCALL81

Question

Hi Everyone!! New to this site, and I already LOVE it. I have a question that hopefully someone can help with. I am 100% P&T. Recently met with a Voc Rehab counselor, and went to the initial meeting and took the assessment test. Met with her again today and we went over everything that I scored high in, to see what job would be a good fit for me. I was an RN before, and I scored pretty high in the medical/clerical areas. Because of my disabilities, I cannot perform duties of a Nurse, so she suggested going back to school and getting a masters in business or human resources, or health administration. That sounds pretty great to me. She also stated that with working part time, my benefits would not be interrupted. My social security benefits maybe, but not my VA 100%. My questions consist of; 1) Does the info about me not losing my benefits sound accurate? 2) I have been thinking of starting a small business in the meantime, will Voc Rehab help with that in conjunction with me going to school? I really appreciate any input to this matter. It's important for us to look out for one another in protecting everything we've earned!

Sandra

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd be cautious! I don't believe she can say whether or not you'll have you benefits reduced, especially since you probably don't have the 20yr protection. SSDI will give you a one year trial period to go back to work where they don't take away SSDI, until the end of that year.

I don't believe VocRehab will help start a new business but I do believe the VA does have programs to help vets start business's, especially if they plan to do business w/the VA.

I don't know what your disabilities are but there are jobs where you could work, as an RN, unless maybe blindness. Many will make concessions, especially if they have any Gov't contracts or receive Medicare/Medicaid monies. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

I agree with PR be cautious. It is best to always be cautious with the VA. Saying that I was also under the understanding that the difference between P&T and TDIU besides being able to get TDIU below a 100% rating was that with 100% P&T you could still work do what you wanted and then TDIU was that you were determined to be incapable of working. Please let me know if this is wrong but that is what I thought was the difference between the 2. I do have someone that I know is 100% P&T and also works full time.

Diver

I used Voc Rehab back in the early 90's to earn a FAA certification. It was a 3yr course and I was only 30% SC. They paid for everything including books and tools needed for the course. You have to keep a certain gpa and report in to your counselor. I'm sure they have informed you of the process. Wish I can help you with your questions but you can NEVER trust the GOVERNMENT. They are constantly searching for reductions. I opened a claim for an increase and they wanted to reduce me due to a missing form that was never given to me to fill out. They constantly expressed to me that it was their fault and they should have never approved the claim. During the process the VA was adamant about the reduction until I insisted the VA start the process over and that I was NOT willing to accept the reduction due to a clerical error. In the end I did get the increase and feel if I had laid down and let them railroad me they would have.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with PR be cautious. It is best to always be cautious with the VA. Saying that I was also under the understanding that the difference between P&T and TDIU besides being able to get TDIU below a 100% rating was that with 100% P&T you could still work do what you wanted and then TDIU was that you were determined to be incapable of working. Please let me know if this is wrong but that is what I thought was the difference between the 2. I do have someone that I know is 100% P&T and also works full time.

Diver

diver - with regard to the 100% rating, if the disabilities are due to physical injuries/conditions, then the claimant can work, however if the claimant is rated 100%, solely due to mental conditions, such as PTSD, then the claimant shouldn't work, as one of the conditions of a 100% rating is the inability to work. jmo

pr