VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Very Confused!

Rate this question

pelicanbrave

Question

I am a 50% veteran with a claim in for an increase for my sc left knee, Lower back secondary to sc left knee and a few other things. I have done most of my own work on my claims over the years but I am a a point where I need some help. I got a call from Columbia a few months ago asking me for supporting documentation such as names of private providers and statements in support of my claim which I sent in and they received. I got a call two days ago from the rating department asking for me if I would go to all of the private providers I listed and get a copy of my records and send them in because they were ready to rate my claim. They said that the new company that had the contract to get the records was overwhelmed and it would be quicker for me to get them and send them in. I listed eight different providers so thats a lot of legwork which I am willing to do but I would like to know if this is something that anyone else has had to do and if so I would like some feedback on what I should do. Thanks!

3 answers to this question

We provided copies of my husband's private medical records at the same we filed claims for those conditions. If the claim was pending when treatment continued, we sent in those records as we went along. We did this because it was not only faster that way, but more importantly, we knew exactly what was sent in, when it was sent using certified mail, and when it was received because someone with the VA had to sign for it.

I recommend you get your own records together and send them in, certified mail, with a return receipt requested. Keep a copy for your records, of course. Plus, in the event the VA's loses them, which has been known to happen, you'll not only be able to provide another copy, but also a copy of the receipt proving when they first arrived at the VA. You may have to spend a little money up front to do all this, but it's an investment in yourself and insurance in case your paperwork goes missing. I don't trust the VA to obtain ANY evidence on my husband's behalf. That includes Social Security records. Even after we sent them in, the VA acted like they didn't have them. That's when the certified mail receipt comes in handy.

Edited by lotzaspotz

You can never rely on the VA to do all the work. As far as their duty to assist, just requesting the info from whoever, satisfy s their duty. SOOOOOOOOOOO, it all comes done to you doing the Lion's share of the work. And really, that is as it should be. If you do it, you know it's done, right. Many a Vet has relied on VSO-Reps, to their dismay. No one cares more about your claim than you. Get busy getting everything the VA has Requested for rating your claim. Send in a Stmnt in support of Claim discussing receipt of Evidence request referencing the recent VA Letter (Attach a scan PDF) to SSOC. CYA, right.

Even a mere bump of $100.00 = $1200 per yr X ?? future yrs is well worth whatever time and effort you have to put out now, agree.

Semper Fi

Gastone