Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Advise

Rate this question

NC OD WO

Question

I filed claims for ankle and knee conditions in 2012. I was denied due to no service connection. I filed for reconsideration in 2013, again I was denied. I filed a NOD in 2014. I have until 9 Feb 15 to select a Decision Review Officer or traditional appeals process. I had a fit for duty 13 Nov 14. My ankle and knee were declared unfitting conditions. I will receive my P3 profile 26 Jan 15 and start the IDES process. I know I will run the VA C&P gauntlet again but I can see a potential conflict coming. I want my case reviewed by the DRO but I need all of the additional doucumentation from the IDES process prior to review by the DRO. Can the MSC connect the dots during IDES? I think it very ironic that I am in the process of medical seperation for conditions the VA has deemed not service connected.

4 answers to this question

For what it's worth. I filed NOD DRO Hearing request 08/10 for 09/09 Denial, filed another NOD DRO Hearing request 09/12 for a 09/12 IU Denial. FINALLY notified early 05/2014 of a DRO Hearing to be held 06/27/14. The scheduled Hearing ended up being for the 2010 NOD. What's that, 31/2 or so years. BVA Hearing can be even longer. Check the BVA Decisions for 13 & 14. Vets been on appeal 4+ years with a large number getting Remanded back to the Vets VARO.

I got all my major SC $ issues awarded at the DRO Hearing. Decided on"Informal" after discussing options with DRO. He agreed to clear my 2012 IU. Worked for me so I'm a strong advocate for the DRO Hearing Process. If it works the way it was originally intended, should get your appeal heard much sooner than a BVA Hearing.

You mentioned "filing for Reconsideration." Who's idea was that and how long did you wait and what type of Denial was issued? "Requesting Reconsideration," has been discussed in great depth on Hadit. Be interesting to get your input.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Gastone,

My reconsideration came from my VSO. I had a bad feeling from day 1 that this guy was lost in the sauce. I considered my claim very valid with all of the supporting documents only to be told that it is not service connected. I am now being given the boot for the claims that were not deemed service connected. My last C&P examiner told me that my packet was messed up but he would not elaborate. I am a full time techncian with the NCARNG with over 34 years service. My concern is, will I have to wait until my DRO hearing to receive my discharge??

I am starting to think about the DRO process now as I have been told by my Attorney that I will have a conference in April of this year. I am having doubts as to what kind of posture I should take. Obviously this is an adversarial process, but it still seems that you get more bees with honey than you do vinegar. I will go in open minded but not without tools and attack plans.

From most posts that I have read on here, there seems to be an advantage doing the informal route, however, in the back of my mind, I still cannot help the fact that I know a senior rater has already looked at my decision before it was issued on my first claim, so, my logic is that it may not be no different now going the DRO route. With me its difficult as I have no experience in this phase of the war. If I get a impartial DRO and not some buckaroo it may pan out to my advantage. Oklahoma does not seem to be as crazy as some of the other regional offices but it's still the same tactic, same game. Deny at all costs, approve if you must, low ball at all times, and hope the vet is not any wiser. JMO

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

Go with the face to face, and don't be hostile or angry during it. Just be yourself. Dress like you would normally dress. When I was diag with ptsd roughly 5 years being out of the military I put a claim in and didn't sugarcoat or play the poor me card. I was awarded 70% SCed for ptsd with no fight. I think you're past the 'lottery' part, being where some random person decides to deny or grant you. I haven't had my 'face to face' yet, but hopefully thats where the person will look at you as a person and not some number.