VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Reduction?

Rate this question

oldenred

Question

I was looking on Ebenefits last night and noticed under the letters section that is says I am up for a rating reduction on July 1st. News to me. I will have had my rating for six years at that point. 50% PTSD, 10% hearing, 10% shoulder and 0% for my knee for a 60% award.

I stopped my PTSD treatments a little over two years ago for a couple reasons. Every time I went all the psychiatrist wanted to do was shove pills down my throat. At one point he had me on a cocktail of pills that had me like a space cadet. Another time the pills he gave me had me messed up with behavior issues and lost my job and was out of work for two years. Then all the reports came out about the pills killing people because of how they were being prescribed. My symptoms have not changed and I still have a ton of problems but find it easier to deal with them without meds than on them.

What happens next? What steps should I take at this point?

Edited by oldenred

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

VA justifies continued ratings with medical evidence that shows continuous treatment.

I didnt know that psychologists could prescribe meds. ????

Psychiatrists can however.

Regardless of that, I feel you need to not only need to get back into some PTSD treatment program, ASAP, but if I were you I would start finding medical documentation in your med recs, that the prescribed pills caused you additional problems.

You said:
"Another time the pills he gave me had me messed up with behavior issues and lost my job and was out of work for two years."
Perhaps that employer would prepare a statement indicating those med -related problems for you.

A print out from a good medication site might also support their side affects.

"Then all the reports came out about the pills killing people because of how they were being prescribed."

What reports?

What specific meds were you on?

VA's reasoning makes sense. If a veteran has a treatable disability, and they do not get continuous treatment for it, then maybe the disability has significantly improved,and they will definitely attempt to lower the rating..

Sorry to hear of your issues bud, as I too am scheduled for Reduction next year. I have had continuous treatment for the last 2 years since I retired from the Navy but I still worry. I hate going to the VA and treatment, but I don't want the VA to look for an excuse to take my %s away. However it may not cure me, but I do like to vent to the Psychs and lessen the load.

• HadIt.com Elder

I Don't think they will reduce your ratings? just that they want to see if your disability has improved or got worse? you could get an increase, if you get a C&P Go to it and tell the Doc about your disability how much worse it has got & give examples but don't say to much, depends on your disability's? & be honest or you may want to spend some $$ get an IMO. another Dr's Opinion.

Remember good probative medical evidence wins claims.

Edited by Buck52