Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&t And Unemployable?

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I have asked the VA to Clarify my rating and got a letter stating that I have a combined rating of 100% P&T and my disabilities makes me unemployable and no further examination in the future.

Can I be both P&T and unemployable?

Is your 100% P & T rating for PTSD or another mental disorder?

It is my understanding the VA considers a disabled veteran with a 100% rating for a mental disorder to be unemployable and the veteran's rating might be jeopardized if they do engage in substantially gainful employment.

Great question!

The VA rep who spoke at my TAPS class said that with a 100% combined rating, a veteran can work. With TDIU, a veteran cannot work. I think the point the rep was trying to make is that if you have the right combination of disabilities and severities to make 100%, the VA doesn't feel you could work based on the math but does not prohibit you from trying. But if you go to the VA at 70% or more and claim you cannot work, then you need to make your word your bond. This is one big reason I haven't pursued TDIU.

With a P&T determination, though...can that be revoked? By it's nature, isn't that "permanent and total," meaning no further review necessary at any point ever?

Would rather rely on the experience of this group.

None of my ratings are for mental disorder, all are physical disabilities. I requested my rating from the VA twice and got the same response twice. It's just confusing, especially reading the responses because I didn't think you could be both 100% P&T and unemployable with no future exams.

• HadIt.com Elder

You are P&T but nothing is really permanent, until you reach the 20yr mark. Sounds like they gave you TDIU, however if your disabilities total 100%, using the combined ratings table, then you are 100% scheduler and you can work, w/o losing your VA rating.

pr

Jay,

I just checked my 100% P & T documentation which states "no future exams are scheduled" but the word "unemployable" is not shown in any of my documents. I really don't know how to explain your letter. Hopefully, someone will let you know.

Good luck.

This what they have said twice when I requested clarification of my disability ratings, "Your combined rating is at 100%, you are unemployable due to your service-connected disabilities. You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due to your service connected disabilities. You are not schedule for future examinations."