VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Blood Thinner

Rate this topic

On the VA website under Pharmacy FAQ, the following response is provided to the question about requesting drugs not on the VA formulary:

"Under certain conditions, you may be prescribed a drug that does not appear on the formulary. Your VA provider may request this non- formulary medication for you by completing a special form. The non-formulary medication must be approved by a committee. Your VA provider will inform you of a disapproval of a non-formulary medication request and discuss the use of alternative formulary agents with you."

Unless you can get a VA doctor (preferably a cardiologist) to complete and submit the special form, you probably will not get the non-formulary medication from the VA. JMO

I guess we will see if the Patient Advocate program is any good.

I have the private Doctors Report and I am sure he would help me if I need more info.

VA Formulary Medications and Supplies

"The VA National Formulary (VANF) is a list of products (drugs and supplies) that have been approved for our patients by the Medical Advisory Panel (MAP) and VISN Pharmacist Executives (VPE). The MAP-VPE group, which is composed of VA physicians and pharmacists from across the nation, thoroughly reviews medical literature and selects drugs for the formulary based on a number of factors, including safety and effectiveness. The purpose of the VANF is to provide high quality, best value pharmaceutical products while assuring the portability and standardization of the pharmacy benefit to eligible veterans accepted by VA for care. Our drug formulary guidelines allow you to obtain drugs that are not listed for your condition in the drug formulary if VA providers determine that they are medically necessary.

All prescriptions filled by a VA pharmacy must be written by a VA provider. All refills will be processed by mail.

Following listed are the most commonly used medications.
Please visit http://www.pbm.va.gov/NationalFormulary.aspxfor more information"

Prasugrel ( Effient ) is listed as non formulary but as the link shows

" Our drug formulary guidelines allow you to obtain drugs that are not listed for your condition in the drug formulary if VA providers determine that they are medically necessary"

Did the VA doc document this med was NOT necessary? then why suggest it??????

Maybe the patient advocate at your VAMC can help you get this fixed.

So, The Patient Advocate answered my question this way...

' You can write a letter to the VA in Walla Walla'. Problem is, that is where she IS.

No such thing as a Patient Advocate at the VA in my opinion.