Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question Of Nexus

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Is this why the BVA may be questioning my nexus?

6. Dr. P. should be contacted and asked to provide the basis for his diagnosis of

the veteran, and whether he has any medical training or expertise in treating

or evaluating psychiatric disability.

Letter 1 by Dr. P. April 5, 2004

Department of Veterans Affairs:Re:

To whom it may concern:

______ has been a patient of mine since August 1979.

At the time of her initial presentation her major problem was chronic anxiety/depression. She reports a (five year history) of psychiatric care.

She recently has applied for disability benefits to the Department of Veterans Affairs by reason of her prior time in military service with the Navy 1963/1964

Her ongoing request for disability benefits center on whether or not her anxiety/depression is related to her prior time in service.

She has been granted entitlement to non-service pension.

I have a copy of her U.S. medical records, I also have a copy of a letter documenting an honorable discharge by reason of unsuitability, dated April 7, 1964. This time reflects the fact that she did have emotional problems while in service and had been referred for psychiatric consultation by a board certified psychiatrist.

It is my considered medical opinion that her subsequent problems with anxiety/depression have been of a magnitude to adversely affect her overall health and result in disability. It is also my considered medical opinion those problems had their origin during the time of military service.

I urge reconsideration of a decision for service connected disability by reason of her chronic anxiety with depression.

I just noticed this typing error, it should read (fifteen year).

Letter 2 by Dr. P. April 28, 2006

To whom it may concern:

The above is currently undergoing an appeal process with The board of Veterans Affairs.

This letter is written as an addendum to previously written letters dated April 5, 2004, in regards to her current appeal with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The basis for my previous noted diagnosis of this veteran was based on knowledge of personal interactions, history taking and physical examinations going back to 1979. I am aware of the fact by reviewing all the military records of the veteran that the patient was treated with Librium and Caffergot while in the military service. 1964, presumptively for treatment of anxiety and depression and associated headaches, by Dr. BCC, followed by two psychiatric consultations thus leading to her early discharge.

The veteran has been on anti-anxiety medication from 1967 to date thus make it plausible that I am correct. I have maintained all of the veteran's civilian records from 1965 to date and all of her military records to date.

As I have previously stated, It is my considered medical opinion that her subsequent problems with anxiety/depression have been of a significant magnitude to adversely affect her overall health and result in disability.

I have no specific training in Psychiatry, but I have the usual level of expertise that would be expected in an internist, board certified, in 1976 and actively practicing internal medicine since that time.

I graduated from the University of Florida Medical School in 1973, was board certified in internal medicine in 1976 and have remained in active practice since that time.

Sincerely,

J.M. P

7. After the above development has been completed, the veteran's claims file

should returned to the board of VA psychiatrists who participated in the

April 2005 examination for clarification of the provided opinion. They should be

requested to review the record and reconcile their opinion as to etiology in

light of the evidence added since their examination of the veteran, including the

May 2005 statement of Dr. B C. C and the January 2006 statement of

Dr. M P.

This is why my claims file is at the Medical Center on the Male Psychiarist desk to follow this section of the remand.

To my knowledge, there is to be no further examination.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine, I am not going to aplogize for being horrified at the thought of your being hypnotized or God forbid, drugged at a VA Hospital - without your consent!! You do not need to apologize to anyone for your claim or your feelings . . .

I would very much like for you to feel safe and respected during your VA medical treatment. I will remain distraught and affected over your reports until I hear of some resolution!! May God be with you.

Wings,

I spoke with the supervisor of the patient advocate today and he expects the psychiatrist to have their opinion prepared at any time.

He stated that he knew that the file would be coming back. He did all that he could do for me.

He said that they would not want the BVA pounding on them and would not allow this claim to remain on their desk.

I only wanted to post my story, as others, at some time, may face the same situation that I did.

I expect an answer within the few months and perhaps, this claim can lay to rest.

If the Va had secured my psychiatric records upon my first filing of 1978 or when I filed again in 2002, but they didn't.

I secured them for them in 2004 and then strange things began to happen.

I appreciate your sending me all the references and the telephone numbers.

I will paste them and print them and keep them in my lock box with all my other Va. papers.

Thanks for your prayers,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine