Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed For P & T And Now I Have A Predetermination Letter For Reduction

Rate this question

EthanAllen

Question

I am 100% SC PTSD, Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia. Effective date is 02/16/2009. Had my third C & P in December 2014. I have the copy and it is not good again. My VSO told me to file for P & T now since it has been six years with no improvement.

My claim for P & T was opened on 12/02/2014 and my C & P was on 10/08/2014. Wife attended with me because of the process plus I do not like crowds.

I waited for answer. On 02/09/2015 on E benefits in my open file it said pending decision approval.

On 02/10/2015 another claim was opened that said 'Gathering Evidence and Predetermination letter sent".

On 02/14/2015 my original claim was closed with appropriate words decision letter sent etc.

The 02/10/2015 claim remained opened. On 02/17/2015 the second claim vanished into thin air.

I waited til yesterday for the mail to arrive. After two weeks I called 800 number and was told that a Predetermination Letter was being sent. I asked about the details and they would only tell me it was for a reduction and it was mailed out on 02/23/2015. I do not have the letter yet telling me the details.

I have SSDI and 100% SC for six years and I get this from the VA. I am messed up and see my Psych 2X a month and group therapy. I have been an in house patient five times. The last less than a year ago for an attempted suicide. Where is the problem because I do not see it. I also had a C & P in 10/2013 and continued with the original 100% SC award of benefits. A year later I am better off. This a joke I hope.

Does anyone know what is going on?

To say the least I am baffled

J.R.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L. Mencken

81-83 7th SFGA 84-85 1st SFGA 86-90 Instructor Mtn Warfare Sch. 91-95 Plt SGT A Co 172 Mtn Infantry Bn

Mike you are exactly right bud. I mean look what happened to me, I just put in an FDC in Nov 14 so that I get SC for all the other issues, which looks good and will probably be granted SC. Then the VA decides, "Hay lets just review all of his SC big %s, which they did" Very painful process, but it backfired on the VA, it looks like a few of those Reviewed %s just might increase. Just try to stay calm and we will figure out your next plan of attack.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

100% to 70 % is like losing half of your money each month..fight this with all you got, this is obvious retaliation

2004-06= 0%

2006-13= 10%

2013-14= 30%

2014-17= 90%

2017= 100%                  

2018 = 100% PT (still at BVA)

Update to all and love all the support,

Filed for 30 day hearing an hour ago with long narrative as to why I oppose. Stated documented facts as well as difference in opinion.

Prepared for this just in case by notifying Senator's Office. I have their form to release my records. I will fill this out. I am also sending certified mail to Senator including decision letter and VA form 21-4138 explaining why I want the office to look into this. In addition I will attach corresponding C.F.R. regarding the reduction of five year static rating with 3 C & P's all saying the same and also send regulation relating to reduction of 100% total. I will also ask about SMC-S as Berta mentioned. I will also write a personal note to the Senator respectfully. This cannot happen to other veterans.

VSO and I have requested full medical file today also.

I do not have a scanner nor do I know how to upload at this moment. But I will give brief synopsis.

Based on my third C & P 12/08/1014 for PTSD (Chronic), Panic Disorder with agoraphobia, alcohol abuse "we are proposing to reduce your prior evaluation of its overall disabling effect. The combined evaluation for all of your service connected disabilities will drop from 100% to 70%. This does not affect you entitlement to treatment for service connected conditions. We propose to reduce your monthly rate of compersation from $3068.90 to $1447.71".

"We have reviewed medical records concerning your service connected disabilities and noted some improvement".

Some improvement?

The decision shows 20 different problems more associated with 70 percent rather than 100 percent. Their words not mine.

They left out that I have "persistent dangerof hurting self or others". I was on high risk suicide list for 120 days last year ending in August. The examiner states in my last exam that I was disorientated during some of the questioning. They left out that I had three panic attacks at the CBOC requiring nurses and my Psych. July of 2014 I got so upset that they summoned five local policeman to the VA but my doctor talked me down. "Grossly inappropriate behavior".

Bottom line. They have messed up bad. I will let the Senator know about why this all happened during a request for P & T and why I have not received my decision letter on that which was closed on E Benefits 02/14/2015. Basically as the letter says "some improvement". God forbid.

The VA does not scare me. They could call tomorrow and I would still send this case to the Senator. Yes I will find out Sec Bob email and send it to him. I was in 1st Special Forces Group (2nd Bn, B Co, ODA 156 as a 18E myself maybe he can give me a little help. I still have some humor left.

I may be home bound with some serious problems but I do remember how to fight back. Being from Vermont I will wear my Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys shirt to the hearing.

Thank you very much to all. I will keep everyone updated. God Bless

J.R.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L. Mencken

81-83 7th SFGA 84-85 1st SFGA 86-90 Instructor Mtn Warfare Sch. 91-95 Plt SGT A Co 172 Mtn Infantry Bn