Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression Secondary To (Pain From) Sc Id & Sciatica

Rate this question

USAFSP

Question

I intend to file a claim for depression secondary to my SC IVDS and Sciatica. My depression stems from my diminished quality of life and limited activity due to the chronic pain. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression NOS by my VA mental health. However, will the VA require the statement of a mental health professional to the effect of "veteran's depression is caused by chronic pain related to his service connected condition"? I'm hesitant to dictate to the doctor what to annotate. But I know VA doctors are hesitant to enter much info that would substantiate a claim. Anyone had experience in this area that can offer some advice?

Thanks for the input guys. My mental health provider hasn't really documented a "path" between the two. They just diagnosed the anxiety and depression with no real explanation. They note work stress and pain but only briefly. But I've been taking two VA prescription meds for this for @ 4 years. For my back I take meloxicam, got trigger point injections, use a custom non-rigid back brace. Used gabapentin until the high dosage caused too much drowsiness. Now use Cymbalta(?) also for nerve pain in my legs.

For my past claims I highlighted the issues in my records, wrote a letter explaining my issues and their effect on me, and prayed.

I have an appt tomorrow and am tempted to explain that I have mentioned in the past that I feel the anxiety/depression is from the chronic back and leg pain yet it has not been addressed in my record.

• HadIt.com Elder

Brokensoldeir244th

That's what I was thinking HOWEVER the pcp did refer me to MH

Thanks Bud

georgiapapa I'll check those CFR's/codes 9434-9435

btw Got my splint off today at VAMC plastic Surgery, but have to wear it every night for 6 months. Hand is Better!

Thanks Buddy!

Buck!

Paper copy. My psychologist kept DBQs in her desk and completed them on request.

This is a real problem and there are 3 possible solutions, you pick which one(s) are for you: (You are highly advised to read your doc's reports, in all cases, below. Remember, the VA may NOT read your docs report and deny you anyway. Its happened before)

1. Do nothing and probably lose out on benefits. While this may not be good for you, its the path most Vets take, sometimes because they dont know better, and sometimes because they are too weak, or too uninformed, to fight it. Or, it may be because the VSO "talked the Veteran out" of seeking a second medical opinion.

2. Get another VA doc, if yours refuses to supply the required "nexus" statment, and you sincerly feel entitled to said benefits. Dont fake or exaggerate anything, but its quite okay to seek a second medical opinion if you dispute the opinion offered by your VA doc. When you do talk to a doc, make sure you tell the doc what happend on your WORST day, not what happened on your best day, because if you tell him you are "fine" dont expect a highly Veteran favorable exam report.

3. Get an IMO/IME or sometimes 2 of them to refute unfavorable medical evidence by VA docs.

Remember, medical evidence can not be rebutted by lay evidence. That is, what the doc says will trump anything you say, even if the doc says space aliens landed their spaceship, infected you with a normally service conneceted disease, erased all memory of the alien abduction, and then disappeared without a trace.

Edited by broncovet