Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression Secondary To (Pain From) Sc Id & Sciatica

Rate this question

USAFSP

Question

I intend to file a claim for depression secondary to my SC IVDS and Sciatica. My depression stems from my diminished quality of life and limited activity due to the chronic pain. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression NOS by my VA mental health. However, will the VA require the statement of a mental health professional to the effect of "veteran's depression is caused by chronic pain related to his service connected condition"? I'm hesitant to dictate to the doctor what to annotate. But I know VA doctors are hesitant to enter much info that would substantiate a claim. Anyone had experience in this area that can offer some advice?

Yes, you will, but your notes probably have enough in them to form the basis. My doc didnt come out and say in perfect VA verbiage "This Veterans condition is irrefutably caused by ......" but the notes were voluminous enough and said that I was diagnosed with depression and I had a lower quality of life due to my IVDS lumbar issues. It limits employment, it limits intimacy, and it limits my ability to do stuff with my kids.

Edited by brokensoldier244th

USAFSP,

My psycholigist diagnosed me with Depression and Adjustment Disorder secondary to my service connected Cancer. I agree with brokensoldier. As long as your mental health doctor has documented the connection in their reports or notes using the terms "caused by" or "secondary to" your service connected conditions, you will probably be ok. At my request, my VA psychologist also completed a DBQ in which she stated my depression and adjustment disorder were secondary to my service connected Cancer. If I was you, I would also ask your mental health doctor to complete a DBQ to support your claim. JMO

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

Anybody know how the VA PCP,rate or diagnose depression?

Routine Medical Examination V-17 All Depression Screen,

A PHQ-2 Screen was performed. The Score was a 6 which is a positive screen for depression,

refer patient MH,

Medication orderd: Sertraline initated

Anybody know what this means?

it was in my progress notes after I seen my PCP on Dec 3 2014!

Sorry USAFSP , I Didn't Mean to hi-jack your thread!

Thanks, Buck!

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

Check out 38 CFR 4.130. Diagnostic codes 9434 & 9435.

GP

THe PCPs don't- I dont think they can. They will refer you to Mental Health. They can discuss it with you but PCPs aren't qualified in that field of medicine. I could see a diagnosis like that from a PCP having to be appealed down the road somewhere.