Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Va Form 21-0966

Rate this question

vern2

Question

The Department of Veterans Affairs has made a proposal that claims can be started by filing VA Form 21-0966. This change has NOT gone into effect and will not go into effect until March 24, 2015. Claims filed on a VA Form 21-0966 prior to March 24, 2015 will not be processed.

If you have filed this form prior to 24 March 2015, it will not be accepted.

Got this from another web page for veterans, just passing on this info.

Vern2

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Question....

From Colonel Dan Cedusky's email this AM:

"Subject: RE: [VeteranIssues] FW: New VA Form 21-526b, VETERAN'S SUPPLEMENTAL CLAIM FOR COMPENSATION

Robert White told me… The 21-526b will be phased out on 3/24. Also the VA will require the use of a 21-0955 starting on 3/24 for all informal claims. If the veteran doesn’t use this form, the informal claim is invalid. The VA can’t publish the form until 3/24. Robert White"

I wonder why this form # is different from the other new form... does the word "supplemental" mean for secondarys?

Another question....

How does one file a Section 1151 or CUE claim after March 24?

Ok two more questions:

And what about vets who don't have PCs and might not even be aware of this?

and

How long after March 24th will it take the VA to SNAFU this new system?

Whatever I posted here the other day from Col. Cedusky's email has been changed:
"From: VeteranIssues@yahoogroups.com On Behalf Of 'Colonel Dan' colonel-dan@sbcglobal.net [VeteranIssues]
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:59 AM
To: Veteran Issues by Colonel Dan Cedusky
Subject: [VeteranIssues] New law mandates all claims, appeals begin on standard forms, Effective Mar 24, 2015
Forget what I sent Mar 12, about VA Form 21-526b
Subject: RE: [VeteranIssues] FW: New VA Form 21-526b, VETERAN'S SUPPLEMENTAL CLAIM FOR COMPENSATION
Robert White told me… The 21-526b will be phased out on 3/24. Also the VA will require the use of a 21-0955 starting on 3/24 for all informal claims. If the veteran doesn’t use this form, the informal claim is invalid. The VA can’t publish the form until 3/24. Robert White
Find VA Forms at: http://www.va.gov/VAFORMS/default.asp new forms avail after Mar 24"
Maybe no snafus possible, just FUBARs!
The DAV Magazine has an article on all this.
If I have time I will find and post here........

This is all about new "excuses to deny". I can see it now:

Your claim is denied. Reason: You failed to file for benefits on the required form 21-0966, but instead filed it on the "old" form 21-526b. You can resubmit on the new form, IF YOU HAVE NEW AND MATERIAL EVIDENCE, otherwise, that one will be denied also as it has already been denied, once, and you have to appeal it using the correct NOD form. We have shuffled the form numbers in order to trap more Veterans into a denial by confusing them on which form to use.