VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loan Success!

Rate this topic

ssgtob1

ssgtob1 - how long did that process take? I just submitted an application a couple of weeks ago for my husband.

It took from mid-December until now. I kept on top of nelnet though and bothered them weekly. Approved March 10th.

They usually only discharge student loans for anyone disabled, if they are P & T:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation#total-and

A NYS Dept of Higher Ed waiver a VA doctor signed for my husband in his lifetime was instrumental in my 2012 1151 100 P & T award.The VA doc checked the P & T part of the waiver application.

It is also evidence for my pending CUE claim.

Maybe you should seek P & T status now.

Berta,

Thats what I thought too, saw a couple of people that said they were approved and not P&T and read all the documentation. The Dept of ED CFR uses the term P&T differently than the VA does. The application form even states:

The following two types of VA determinations meet this requirement: (1) a determination that you have a service-connected disability (or disabilities) that is 100% disabling; or (2) a determination that you are totally disabled based on an individual unemployability determination.

So, as long as you ahve disabilities that equal 100%, you should be approved. I verified this with nelnet and the dept of ED before applying.

How hard would P&T be to get? I am due to be re-evaluated on two conditions but even if they are rated at 0%, I still would be 100% with my other conditions.

"How hard would P&T be to get?"

Since P & T is a medical determination,a strong IMO by a doctor or Vocational expert could help you

Also if Voc Rehab finds a vet un vocrehabable solely due to their SCs, that also suggests they should be P & T.
But should wont do it.

I was awarded under a CUE recently,and all of my evidence indicated P & T, but to RO somehow did not state P & T and even the director said the rating was "temporary"

They agreed to the Total 100% but not the permanent status

Death however makes any 100% SC P & T.

It would not even be an issue but I think they denied my accrued benefists (20 months, pls SMC, vet and 2 dependents)
by saying this was nOT a permanent disability.

I can hear my dead husband rolling overin his grave.

This specific CUE issue ( presently at VACO) regards a 100% P & T issues that VA found many years ago had contributed to his death (1151) Documented FTCA/1151 DI
c. He is totally and penmanently dead from all the lousy VA care I charged them with.

All of my evidence, to include a neuro C & P exam, whereby he was declared P & T at 100% , by the VA neuro (I was present at the exam)

supports a 100% P & T status for this CVA 1151 disability.

If I were you I would consider getting an IMO.

The doc here at the Bath NY VA specifically checked the P & T status on the NYS Higher ed form.I have copy of here.

The doc also asked me if my husband had applied for higher PTSD rating and I told him yes ( 30% went to 100% P & T SC for that

as well.

Maybe your form is different than the one we had from NY state higher edu.

If I were you I would pursue this because P & T gives your dependents some. wonderful benefits.

I get those benefits under the PTSD award, and my 2 SC deaths awards , Sec 1151 does not come with those benefits.....

They can harm or kill a vet, and award "as if 1151 SC or DIC under 1151

but the spouse and children get diddly squat,when it comes to CHAMPVA and Chapter 35.

Edited by Berta

"How hard would P&T be to get?"

Since P & T is a medical determination,a strong IMO by a doctor or Vocational expert could help you

Also if Voc Rehab finds a vet un vocrehabable solely due to their SCs, that also suggests they should be P & T.

But should wont do it.

I was awarded under a CUE recently,and all of my evidence indicated P & T, but to RO somehow did not state P & T and even the director said the rating was "temporary"

They agreed to the Total 100% but not the permanent status

Death however makes any 100% SC P & T.

It would not even be an issue but I think they denied my accrued benefists (20 months, pls SMC, vet and 2 dependents)

by saying this was nOT a permanent disability.

I can hear my dead husband rolling overin his grave.

This specific CUE issue ( presently at VACO) regards a 100% P & T issues that VA found many years ago had contributed to his death (1151) Documented FTCA/1151 DIc. He is totally and penmanently dead from all the lousy VA care I charged them with.

All of my evidence, to include a neuro C & P exam, whereby he was declared P & T at 100% , by the VA neuro (I was present at the exam)

supports a 100% P & T status for this CVA 1151 disability.

If I were you I would consider getting an IMO.

The doc here at the Bath NY VA specifically checked the P & T status on the NYS Higher ed form.I have copy of here.

The doc also asked me if my husband had applied for higher PTSD rating and I told him yes ( 30% went to 100% P & T SC for that

as well.

Maybe your form is different than the one we had from NY state higher edu.

If I were you I would pursue this because P & T gives your dependents some. wonderful benefits.

I get those benefits under the PTSD award, and my 2 SC deaths awards , Sec 1151 does not come with those benefits.....

They can harm or kill a vet, and award "as if 1151 SC or DIC under 1151

but the spouse and children get diddly squat,when it comes to CHAMPVA and Chapter 35.

Berta,

They completely changed the application process. All you have to do now is submit your AB8 and and the application (if you are 100%) with no Doctor signature required. I will look into an IMO. Thanks for your help!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use