VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lung & Thyroid Nodules --->>> Agent Orange?

Rate this question

buzzard_jones

Question

Hello. I already have a 50% disability (awarded 2012). Well, a few months back, I started having back and chest pain along with coughing. I went to my local va outpatient clinic; they did a chest xray and found pleural thickening. They scheduled me for a CT Scan in Parma, Ohio where I was scanned from neck to knees. The findings on the report are that I have lung nodules and thyroid nodules; Parma did not see pleural thickening. Noted was that the lung nodules should be re-evaluated (new CT Scan) in a year, and they are scheduling me for an ultrasound on the thyroid nodules. This is scary stuff. I had a stress test last year. Next, I made an appointment with a local VA rep to inquire if I could file an Agent Orange claim for the lung nodules....he said that no, I could not unless they turn into diagnosed cancer and he hopes he doesn't see me in the future as then I would be able to file an AO claim. The lung nodules are scaring me more than anything. I was exposed to AO while serving 2 tours in Vietnam. Waiting a whole year to get another scan of them really doesn't sit well with me. I was also told that the chest and back pain have nothing to do with any nodules. Any advice? BTW, I am a former hadit member, but cannot retrieve my information (forgot my username and the email address it was connected to is no longer valid as I moved and switched internet providers). Any comments or suggestions?

5 answers to this question

According to the Mayo Clinic website, lung nodules are usually benign although some become cancerous, usually the larger nodules. It appears that an annual CT scan is standard protocol to see if the nodules have changed. Other diagnostic tests used to evaluate nodules include PET scans and the bronchoscopy. If nodules are suspected of being cancerous, tissue biopsies are conducted and the tissue is sent to a pathologist for examination and to determine if the tissue is benign or malignant.

In regards to your thyroid nodules, the Mayo website stated that most thyroid nodules are not cancerous although you could be given a Fine-Needle Aspiration (FNA) biopsy just to make sure. Other diagnostic tests used to evaluate thyroid nodules include ultrasonography, thyroid scan and thyroid function tests.

For more specific info, go to the Mayo website. If you feel the tests were were inadequate, ask to have additional testing, perhaps tissue biopsies for the lung nodules and FNA biopsies for the thyroid nodules. If the VA refuses the additional testing, you could go to a private oncologist for a second opinion. JMO

Good luck to you and take care of yourself.

GP

Thanks kindly GP. I feel a bit better now, knowing that there is a good chance that the nodules may be benign. As for a second opinion, I can ask my VA primary (I have no other health insurance coverage). I'm waiting to get a call from the VA to schedule the thyroid ultrasound. I will check out the Mayo website as well. DJ

• HadIt.com Elder

buzzard _jones

stay on top of this bud!

If you are not in the AO Registry ? Ask your PCP for an AO Exam & get placed in the Registry!

.....................Buck!

Buck was right ........stay on top of this by having a pet or ct scan at least every 6 months........They can do 3 things.........1. get bigger and more of them (bad). 2. Go away (good). 3. Just sit there and do nothing (pretty good). If 2. or 3. they will scan for about 2 years then only scan about once a year. Slowlane