VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Retro Pay.

Rate this question

Oiler1995

Question

When filing for I.U,is there any retro pay if you are granted.I heard a few differant opinions about this.I heard there is retro from the filing date and I also heard no retro because it is an increase.Thanks.

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

There will be retro, from the date they find you TDIU. If the evidence shows you were TDIU a year ago and they use that date, you will get retro to the first full month after that date. In other words, if they find you TDIU back to 4/4/2014, your retro would start on 5/1/2015, with actual payment being received on 6/1/2015, for the month of May. If you filed for TDIU on 10/25/2014 and they award that date, payment would start on 11/1/2014, with actual payment being received on 12/1/2014, for the month of November.

VA is supposed use the date the clamant is found to be TDIU but often use the date you file, thereby cheating you out of some retro. When I won my 100% retro, for 10yrs, they tried to cheat me out on one month's retro. I caught them and they corrected it w/a $1700+ check, within 30 days.

pr

Oiler1995,

Are you currently receiving SSDI? If you are, submit your SSDI award info when you file for IU. It will help you get IU and your effective date of your IU could be backdated to the effective date of your SSDI award.

Good luck to you.

GP

There will be retro, from the date they find you TDIU. If the evidence shows you were TDIU a year ago and they use that date, you will get retro to the first full month after that date. In other words, if they find you TDIU back to 4/4/2014, your retro would start on 5/1/2015, with actual payment being received on 6/1/2015, for the month of May. If you filed for TDIU on 10/25/2014 and they award that date, payment would start on 11/1/2014, with actual payment being received on 12/1/2014, for the month of November.

VA is supposed use the date the clamant is found to be TDIU but often use the date you file, thereby cheating you out of some retro. When I won my 100% retro, for 10yrs, they tried to cheat me out on one month's retro. I caught them and they corrected it w/a $1700+ check, within 30 days.

pr

when i was awarded aid and attendance for my pension, they used the date of my c&p exam as the date of my claim so i got no retro. i filed an NOD and about a month later, they changed the date back to when i filed and awarded me retro.

Boy, they will do anything they can to try to snooker us out of our money.

Thanks for this post I was wondering the same thing. I have a TDIU claim just submitted 03/2015 in right now and have submitted my SSDI file showing it was approved based solely on SC not to mention a letter from VA Dr confirming the inability to maintain gainful employment (or however the VA wording is). The effective date for SSDI is Jan 1 2013 which is the last day of employment stated by my previous employer. So if I am understanding correctly (assuming that my claim is approved) there is a good chance that the TDIU could retro to that date as well? And if it doesn't then I can use SSDI effective date in a NOD. Am I getting that all right?