Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Infeasible To Work?

Rate this question

Dustin2100

Question

I have been going to Vocation Rehab and they were working with me for a while. They were about to send me to college and they changed their mind and said that I was not employable. I did not even have a chance to do anything wrong? I could understand it if I had failed classes, but it caught me off guard. I went in the office talking about college and working at the post office!!!

I am 70% PTSD and I am receiving SSDI. I just got notice that I am unemployable, I really dont know what to expect now?! I didnt ask for my situation, I really wanted/expected to work. I put in a claim to increase my PTSD rating. I am short on words and dont know if I am explaining myself well enough? Thanks for looking at my post!

Hi Dustin - I understand you wanting to work but sometimes life has a way of getting in the way of our plans/goals. If your family is also interested in the homesteading/farming, it could be good for all of you. You'd get to spend some great times w/your children and spouse.

If you receive TDIU or a 100% rating, plus SSDI, plus an SSDI dependents allowance you would be receiving roughly $77k a yr, tax free, which would be roughly the equivalent of $93k of taxable income. I based this on married, w/a spouse and 2 children. Your SSDI would be based on your military service which I guess to equal about $1600 a month. Your spouse would receive about $800 a month and each child about $400 a month.

That would allow you to garden/farm and have time w/the family. The fact that you're mechanical is a great plus!! You can still make plans for maybe doing something different in the future. I don't know if you've noted how much veggies will be going up, in the near future but growing your own sure would help!

Here's a couple of links to what I did after Vietnam:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/moving-to-the-country-zmaz76jaztak.aspx I was paid $60 for the article in 1976.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/install-a-skylight-zm0z92zros.aspx I was paid $45 for this article around 1978 but they never ran it until 1992.

It may take you a few yrs to get P&T, but once you have that your family will have insurance and college benefits, including your spouse.

jmo

pr

I am only getting $900 from SSDI and they take $100 for medicare. Medicare has a $200 deductible. I am sorry if I came across as being sour. I appreciate the help!

My new pic is from St. patricks day 2005, I just got off the bus from OIF2.

Edited by Dustin2100

I would submit you letter of denial from VOCREHAB thru ebenefits as evidence for TDIU. Your 70% PTSD alone so that letter should give you TDIU which means you get paid at the 100% level.

It depends on each state for taxes. In Certain states it is 50 or 60% disabled for you to use the tax break for your home. I'm sure you qualify for it at 70%. Think you need to print off you disability rating and tax it to the tax office in your city/town. I know my friend gets his adjusted as he is 70% but TDIU. He also only pays $3.24 to register his car every year.

Think there is even more benefits but it is state specific. Just google your states veterans benefits.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am only getting $900 from SSDI and they take $100 for medicare. Medicare has a $200 deductible. I am sorry if I came across as being sour. I appreciate the help!

My new pic is from St. patricks day 2005, I just got off the bus from OIF2.

Dustin2100 - I've adjusted the SSDI, plus spouse and children which came up to $21,600 + $39,217 = $60,817, tax free, which is about $71,155 of a taxable income. Still a survivable income @ $1,169 a wk, tax free, or about $29 an hr. Based on that income it's about $34 an hour, for a 40hr wk, if taxable. Who knows, you could qualify for a housebound SMC "s" award of about $350, a month, also,if your PTSD makes it impossible for you to leave your home/area, except for medical appointments. The key there is whether you can leave your home to go to work 5 days/40hrs a wk.

I haven't seen this video "Ground Operations," yet, but it may offer you some insight. http://groundoperations.net/It's about going from combat to farming.

I do know that I found making baskets(I'm rated 100% for PTSD for 26yrs, this month)) to be very relaxing and I could have probably made $100-$200 a wk making and selling them. There's always something you can do as a "hobby" that can earn extra money. Buying stuff at flea markets/yard/garage/moving sales and reselling it on ebay or craigslist. Car detailing, running errands for the elderly, making and selling bird houses. We had a local guy that handmade nightstands and laundry stands out of wood, to supplement his SSDI, a little. He'd do 3-4 a month, making about $100 on each. Just sayin . . .

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

That's good advice PR!

........Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Dustin2100 - I've adjusted the SSDI, plus spouse and children which came up to $21,600 + $39,217 = $60,817, tax free, which is about $71,155 of a taxable income. Still a survivable income @ $1,169 a wk, tax free, or about $29 an hr. Based on that income it's about $34 an hour, for a 40hr wk, if taxable. Who knows, you could qualify for a housebound SMC "s" award of about $350, a month, also,if your PTSD makes it impossible for you to leave your home/area, except for medical appointments. The key there is whether you can leave your home to go to work 5 days/40hrs a wk.

I haven't seen this video "Ground Operations," yet, but it may offer you some insight. http://groundoperations.net/It's about going from combat to farming.

I do know that I found making baskets(I'm rated 100% for PTSD for 26yrs, this month)) to be very relaxing and I could have probably made $100-$200 a wk making and selling them. There's always something you can do as a "hobby" that can earn extra money. Buying stuff at flea markets/yard/garage/moving sales and reselling it on ebay or craigslist. Car detailing, running errands for the elderly, making and selling bird houses. We had a local guy that handmade nightstands and laundry stands out of wood, to supplement his SSDI, a little. He'd do 3-4 a month, making about $100 on each. Just sayin . . .

pr

I got married about 3yrs ago, after I was accepted for ssdi, and I have not filed for dependents yet. After reading your post, my wife called the SS office and made an appointment. They scheduled it for May 6th... I got married in July 2012 and had my first kid in July 2013. Should I expect a backpay check? I think they call it auxiliary benefits. I am getting $900 a month with $100 going towards Medicare. Should I cancel medicare?

• HadIt.com Elder

I got married about 3yrs ago, after I was accepted for ssdi, and I have not filed for dependents yet. After reading your post, my wife called the SS office and made an appointment. They scheduled it for May 6th... I got married in July 2012 and had my first kid in July 2013. Should I expect a backpay check? I think they call it auxiliary benefits. I am getting $900 a month with $100 going towards Medicare. Should I cancel medicare?

I'm not sure if they'll go retro but it may be possible. Generally, they use the date that you apply for the dependents benefits. You may have lost that money but I'd try for it. Your wife should be eligible from the date the first child was born. I don't understand why you haven't filed for SS dependents payments before now but it is what it is. At least, you're doing it now!.

Personally, if you care about your health, I would keep the Medicare. VA care is mediocre at best. jmo

pr