Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Total Knee Replacement

Rate this question

mrueckert

Question

So in 2012 i had a partial knee replacement i was already rated at 20% for my right knee. Fast forward to August 2014 i had been having difficulty with the knee never seemed to be right after the surgery but i went on with living with pain till it go to be to much, went to see my DR did x-rays and then exploratory surgery to find a torn ACL. My options were to fix it rehab it or just get the knee replaced i opted to have Knee replaced. Since i was already 20% disabled for this knee i figured it would be covered at 100%, filed my claim they sent it to an VA evaluator and his opinion said my disability had nothing to do with my original claim when i was diagnosed not once but twice by VA dr's. I have not gotten a decision yet but i am starting to worry after reading the evaluators opinion should i be or am i putting to much stock into it. I would not worry so much but i have been out of work since the surgery 3 months now so just kind of freaking out a little thanks for letting me rant. Any advice or comments would really help.

It is hard to imagine that you, as a Desert Storm vet, did not have an MRI at some point. That's not your fault. You're not a doctor and can't prescribe one for yourself.

JMHO, you haven't received the best care and now it's left you with a torn ligament. I am very, very sorry that this has happened to you.

The question is how do you claim it successfully? Which is the question you're asking. Some doctor along the line is going to have to put in writing that he or she believes that your torn ACL is the result of the PKR which led to a TKR.

This should not have happened, but again, JMHO. Hopefully someone with more experience with 1151 claims, like Berta, will chime in.

Thank you TiredCoastie for all your help i guess i will know more once i receive paperwork on my claim right now it is still in prep for decision phase so hopefully it won't be much longer but i know i will continue to fight the VA and appeal the decision if they reject my claim and the DAV said they would do everything in their power to help.

• HadIt.com Elder

IMO: the DAV is full of sh*t, as they tell you what you want to hear and rarely do much at all! It is best you do your own claim. If you rely of someone else then you'll get what you deserve, in the end. Again, jmo! You need to be extremely active in prosecuting your claim. Good luck!!

pr