Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Police Records

Rate this question

Fat

Question

A buddy was detained at Fort Bragg in 2007 by military police.

The four occupants in the vehicle were arrested at gun point.

The arrest was due to the cars owner license cross referencing with a felony warrant out of Kansas.

All persons were released 6 hours later when the issue was researched.

My buddy wants to use the incident as his stressor in a PTSD claim.

How long does the military police keep arrest records for such incidents.

6 answers to this question

Fat,

Your buddy can call the Provost Marshal's office at Ft. Bragg at (910)396-5589. They would have the answer regarding the records.

I hope the incident with the MPs is not your buddy's only stressor. It just doesn't seem to be much of a stressor. JMO

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know, one man's stressor can be another's almost everyday event. It would depend on the person. I do think being at the other end of a loaded gun could be stressful to some, me included. I do think the VA would probably deny it on the onset of the claim but it could be won, on appeal. jmo

pr

PR,

You may be right. I guess I was looking at it from a career law enforcement officer's perspective. If I had been held at gunpoint and detained for six hours for something I know I didn't do, I definitely would have been stressed but I don't think my stress would have been long term and risen to the level to justify a claim for PTSD seven years later.

However, after seeing the video of the shooting of Walter Scott in South Carolina, I can see how some people today might experience PTSD even after a traffic stop. I have known and continue to know a lot of cops and feel comfortable saying a majority of cops are good people and would never do what the stupid cop did in South Carolina.

In one of my previous posts I stated I was in favor of body cameras on all police officers. I still believe the cameras are needed. This will protect honest cops, protect honest members of the public and create a video record of interactions between cops and the public. Sorry to get off subject but I really get pissed when I see all cops being painted with the same brush and labeled as bad guys because of the actions of a few bad cops or the misstatement of events by cop haters in an effort to get honest cops in trouble and create tension between the community and the police. JMO

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it would stress me out looking down a loaded gun not knowing if he is going to pull the trigger or not?

but I don't think it would cause me to get PTSD unless its repeated.....> like in Nam! or the Gulf War!

But beings it is military service related may try to file a claim ever little bit helps as for a stressors.

I would think a good stressor would be like coming across a bunch of Dead toren up body's and having to put them in body bags and trying to Identify them or watching your buddy running all lite up with napalm on him and getting a dozen bullets to his torso....I still have bad dreams about some of those things I seen in Nam.

jmo

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

PR,

You may be right. I guess I was looking at it from a career law enforcement officer's perspective. If I had been held at gunpoint and detained for six hours for something I know I didn't do, I definitely would have been stressed but I don't think my stress would have been long term and risen to the level to justify a claim for PTSD seven years later.

However, after seeing the video of the shooting of Walter Scott in South Carolina, I can see how some people today might experience PTSD even after a traffic stop. I have known and continue to know a lot of cops and feel comfortable saying a majority of cops are good people and would never do what the stupid cop did in South Carolina.

In one of my previous posts I stated I was in favor of body cameras on all police officers. I still believe the cameras are needed. This will protect honest cops, protect honest members of the public and create a video record of interactions between cops and the public. Sorry to get off subject but I really get pissed when I see all cops being painted with the same brush and labeled as bad guys because of the actions of a few bad cops or the misstatement of events by cop haters in an effort to get honest cops in trouble and create tension between the community and the police. JMO

GP

GP - I just don't understand people. Generally they take a simple charge, run, and end up w/multiple charges, caused when they run and endanger other civilians, in the process. Hey dumbasses, ya can't outrun Motorola!!! Here a cop's life is ruined, thru stupidity and a guy dies over child support. According to Geraldo (who I have no use for) they'll never get him for murder but could get him to do 30yrs for manslaughter. What a waste!! And then this latest beating, w/a news helicopter flying overhead, where the 10 sheriffs got suspended - have they lost their minds?? Didn't they learn anything from the Rodney King incident!!! I know there's a lot of good cops out there and they have to deal with the dregs of society but it seems more and more are losing it. I think the cameras are a good idea,too. Most of society doesn't realize that you are being filmed wherever you go. Okay . . enough! Stay well and stay safe!

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

I wouldn't want to be in law-enforcement today....but if I was and I was in a (predicament) as to rather or not he was reaching for something??(gun)...I would not take any chances and fire at will because a cop only has a sec to think and instincts take over because a person can't be trained to make a life changing decision in cases like that.

unfortunately there are some bad crooked cops but not all cops are...and some times the surrounding circumstance only the cop and the subject knows the real truth.....

for example the ''Ferguson Shooting''...if your a cop and you have a big man trying to pull you out of your patrol car by the hair of your head and hitting you with his fist & trying take your gun...I mean what is a cop suppose to do in a situation like that..well he has training as what to do but like I said your instincts take over & your only defence is to protect yourself in this case it was a weapon so I really think the cop did the only thing he could it just happen that this was a young person and was Black...but my point is at the time you never know!

but I'm afraid that's all about to change? & just one of my reason I would not want to be in Law-Enforcement Today & I sure ain't getting any younger eh!

jmo

.............................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!