VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personality Disorder But Not Really

Rate this question

willidx4

Question

Long story short I filed for ptsd in 2004 and was denied in 2005. The doc that did my C&P stated I had a personality disorder and a she gave me a GAF of 38 even though I was working everyday in Corp enviroment for 6 years prior to the C&P lol . I filed again in 2012 for PTSD after getting a DX by two private docs stating I have ptsd. The VA stood by its findings again in 2014 stating I had a personality disorder. The VA basically stated due to the fact that I got into a fight with another Marine when I was a private and I got a divorce two years later I must have had a personality disorder prior to me entering the service.The really nutty thing is the doc that stated I had a personality disorder in 2005 said I had a normal childhood with no history of abuse of any kind (confused yet?) I was discharged honorably on top of it all. I saw combat in Desert Storm as a grunt I have a documented stressor I have been on meds since 2005 (private doctors) In 2014 I was granted 30% IBS 10% arthritis right knee and 0% left knee. Recently my VA mental health doc stated I have MDD he stated verbally to me that I didn't and never have had personality disorder. I asked him to state that in the med records and he will not although he is treating me for MDD and anxiety. It seems to me the guy knows I have PTSD but doesn't want to state it in my records as it would contradict the other doc DX of personality disorder. I will never be treated for ptsd so the chance of me getting better are zero. How do I get these guys to wake the hell up and do the right thing?

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Tell them what you have and what you experience daily. Use anger to get your point across. Those VA docs aren't the brightest of their class. With a GAF that low they keep toying with you? You said you have a documented stressor....submit for PTSD claim

"Recently my VA mental health doc stated I have MDD he stated verbally to me that I didn't and never have had personality disorder. I asked him to state that in the med records and he will not although he is treating me for MDD and anxiety. "

Is this doctor prescribing meds for the MDD?

"It seems to me the guy knows I have PTSD but doesn't want to state it in my records as it would contradict the other doc DX of personality disorder. I will never be treated for ptsd so the chance of me getting better are zero. How do I get these guys to wake the hell up and do the right thing?"

Often vets lock themselves in when they claim PTSD. In your case however you stated you have a verified stressor.

Can you scan and attach here the last denial you received for the PTSD? ( we need to read the Reasons and Bases part and the Evidence list. (Cover C file number, name. address prior to scanning)

"I filed again in 2012 for PTSD after getting a DX by two private docs stating I have ptsd. The VA stood by its findings again in 2014 stating I had a personality disorder"

Since the 2005 denial you received, the PTSD regulations changed and VA will not accept any private doctor's diagnosis of PTSD.

They would possibly accept a private doctor's diagnosis of MDD if it follows the IMO criteria here.

Did the stressor fall into VA's definition of a stressor?

We need to read how they opined on the stressor.

A Personality Disorder diagnosis is VA bull crap probably 99% of the time.

I have only met one vet in over 20 years who seemed to have a personality disorder and not PTSD.

What bothers me here is this:

. "Recently my VA mental health doc stated I have MDD he stated verbally to me that I didn't and never have had personality disorder. I asked him to state that in the med records and he will not although he is treating me for MDD and anxiety."

How can a doctor diagnose you verbally and treat you for a disability they wont even acknowledge?

Something stinks about that.

It is possible with the stressor, unless VA has questioned that, you could claim the MDD and/or a generalized anxiety disorder as due to your service.

Here is one link of many on the new PTSD regs and on what a stressor is, for VA purposes:

Do you have the CAR or CIB on your DD 214?

If not does the stressor put you into close proximity to hostile fire?

"Recently my VA mental health doc stated I have MDD he stated verbally to me that I didn't and never have had personality disorder. I asked him to state that in the med records and he will not although he is treating me for MDD and anxiety. "

Is this doctor prescribing meds for the MDD?

"It seems to me the guy knows I have PTSD but doesn't want to state it in my records as it would contradict the other doc DX of personality disorder. I will never be treated for ptsd so the chance of me getting better are zero. How do I get these guys to wake the hell up and do the right thing?"

Often vets lock themselves in when they claim PTSD. In your case however you stated you have a verified stressor.

Can you scan and attach here the last denial you received for the PTSD? ( we need to read the Reasons and Bases part and the Evidence list. (Cover C file number, name. address prior to scanning)

"I filed again in 2012 for PTSD after getting a DX by two private docs stating I have ptsd. The VA stood by its findings again in 2014 stating I had a personality disorder"

Since the 2005 denial you received, the PTSD regulations changed and VA will not accept any private doctor's diagnosis of PTSD.

They would possibly accept a private doctor's diagnosis of MDD if it follows the IMO criteria here.

Did the stressor fall into VA's definition of a stressor?

We need to read how they opined on the stressor.

A Personality Disorder diagnosis is VA bull crap probably 99% of the time.

I have only met one vet in over 20 years who seemed to have a personality disorder and not PTSD.

What bothers me here is this:

. "Recently my VA mental health doc stated I have MDD he stated verbally to me that I didn't and never have had personality disorder. I asked him to state that in the med records and he will not although he is treating me for MDD and anxiety."

How can a doctor diagnose you verbally and treat you for a disability they wont even acknowledge?

Something stinks about that.

It is possible with the stressor, unless VA has questioned that, you could claim the MDD and/or a generalized anxiety disorder as due to your service.

Yes I have a stressor I was a Marine Grunt and in the Persian Gulf for 7 months we recived direct fire missile fire for every night for a week. Took prisoners and cleared minefields and breeched the minefields during the start of the Ground War.

Since the 2005 denial you received, the PTSD regulations changed and VA will not accept any private doctor's diagnosis of PTSD

WOW I had no idea that was the case this makes it very diffucult thanks for the info.

I will find it and scan it thanks in advance for taking the time to look at

Since the 2005 denial you received, the PTSD regulations changed and VA will not accept any private doctor's diagnosis of PTSD

WOW I had no idea that was the case this makes it very diffucult thanks for the info.

Thanks Berta yes he is treating me with Meds for MDD

Duloxentine

Zolpidem

Diazepam (dangerous and addictive stuff I use it only when things are really bad)

Edited by willidx4

Here is one link of many on the new PTSD regs and on what a stressor is, for VA purposes:

Do you have the CAR or CIB on your DD 214?

If not does the stressor put you into close proximity to hostile fire?

Yes I have a CAR on my DD214 yes my stressor put me in close proimity to hostile fire

I was a Marine Grunt and in the Persian Gulf for 7 months we received direct fire missile fire for every night for a week. Took prisoners and cleared minefields and breeched the minefields during the start of the Ground War.

Edited by willidx4

Berta I was thinking the same but wouldn't I need my VA doc to create a nexus? I am also service connected for IBS 30% and 10% arthritis in my right knee, and 0% percent left knee strain