Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personality Disorder But Not Really

Rate this question

willidx4

Question

Long story short I filed for ptsd in 2004 and was denied in 2005. The doc that did my C&P stated I had a personality disorder and a she gave me a GAF of 38 even though I was working everyday in Corp enviroment for 6 years prior to the C&P lol . I filed again in 2012 for PTSD after getting a DX by two private docs stating I have ptsd. The VA stood by its findings again in 2014 stating I had a personality disorder. The VA basically stated due to the fact that I got into a fight with another Marine when I was a private and I got a divorce two years later I must have had a personality disorder prior to me entering the service.The really nutty thing is the doc that stated I had a personality disorder in 2005 said I had a normal childhood with no history of abuse of any kind (confused yet?) I was discharged honorably on top of it all. I saw combat in Desert Storm as a grunt I have a documented stressor I have been on meds since 2005 (private doctors) In 2014 I was granted 30% IBS 10% arthritis right knee and 0% left knee. Recently my VA mental health doc stated I have MDD he stated verbally to me that I didn't and never have had personality disorder. I asked him to state that in the med records and he will not although he is treating me for MDD and anxiety. It seems to me the guy knows I have PTSD but doesn't want to state it in my records as it would contradict the other doc DX of personality disorder. I will never be treated for ptsd so the chance of me getting better are zero. How do I get these guys to wake the hell up and do the right thing?

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

the numbers of Veterans diagnosed with personality disorders are legion. With a proper diagnosis you should overcome that fairly easily.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I think helps to push the PTSD narrative when speaking with anyone at the VA. This is just my experience, and my initial claim is still stagnating, so take it with a grain of salt.

I have started carrying pictures and other evidence of combat. For those of us without amputations/scars, it can be difficult to relate to others what you have seen in combat.

Whenever I complain about a problem, I try to preface it with a story from my deployment - "I feel the same anger I felt when performing capture or kill raids on insurgents" or even "my IBS problems feel like a continuation of dysentery I had when deployed". Unfortunately, when considering PTSD, if any amount of compensation is on the line, doctors approach you with skepticism. There are even formal textbooks on malingering. You have to convince them you have it. It shouldn't be this way for combat veterans, but it is.

Good luck.u

Thanks man just like all things with the VA if you fight long and hard enough they will eventually run into the right exaimnier.lol

I am beginning to think that any vet claiming PTSD should obtain an IMO from a real shrink (even though VA says they will not accept an outside diagnosis,) that also has a copy of the MMPI-2 Combat related testing, with an assessment by the IMO psychiatrist.

They can not only send that in with their claim but show it to any C & P doctor, if it supports their PTSD diagnosis.

The 2010 regs have screwed many PTSD vets as we know but a C & P doctor might defer to any IMO report, that could make their diagnose and assessment easier for them to do.

Then again, it also could mean the vet has wasted their IMO cash if it does not impact on their diagnoses.

I feel vets filing for PTSD should also add depression and anxiety disorder to the claim.

By locking themselves solely into PTSD, they might lose the claim that could possibly succeed under an alternative MH diagnosis.

The comp for all MH disabilities is the same amount.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.