Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gathering Of Evidence Development Letter

Rate this question

shannan

Question

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I've been looking through some of your forum for the past couple of months, but this is my first post (so i hope I'm posting in the correct thread).

I submitted my FDC in January of this year. I just recently received news that I am in the Gathering of Evidence phase. Please do not judge me for what i about to say. I know many of you served honorably and i only wish that that could have been my case (it haunts me every moment of everyday). I was raped in my Advanced Training Unit and did attempt to exorcise every effort to obtain a discharge to get away from my attacker. My chain of command kept "losing" my discharge paperwork and I was forced to remain around my attacker. I am not pleased to admit it, but after a failed suicide attempt, I decided in my naive 18 year old mind that my last resort was to go AWOL. I turned myself in and was given an OTH.

So to my point, I recieved a letter stating that they do not ordinarily grant disability benefits unless it is found that i did serve honorably, although i have severe PTSD, Major Depression, and Dythsmia due to MST (all diagnosed by the VA). The letter is also asking me for all evidence i may have and my statement. They also claim they have no knowledge of me having a representative. They are going to put my claim on hold for 60 days to wait for me to send the evidence.

My Amvets representative submitted all of my statements and evidence when he filed my ebenefits claim in January. He also made it clear on official letterhead that he was representing me on this claim. Also, when he submitted the claim, he certified that this is ALL the evidence that I had to submit. Have any of you ever recieved a similar letter? If so, how did you adress it? I dont want to re-send the evidence for fear they will knock me into a regular claim. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Andyman;

I mentioned in a post in here a few days ago to go to the MH Walk-In Clinic. That is where you need to get the ball rolling for your PTSD claim. You need to get a PTSD intake eval to determine if you have PTSD. There is a test and it will show if you are positive or not. I tested PTSDT 4Q - anything above 3Q is a positive result for PTSD.

As far as the stressors you will need to go back into your memory and dig up the past as well as find any medical records to associate the PTSD to Active Duty. The IBS issue....I have IBS and I am currently S/C for it. You can file a completely separate claim for IBS. You will need medical records to prove the IBS but it seems you have them from your most recent post above.

Go to the Walk-In clinic for MH and get the ball rolling!

Take Care

Steph

Navy4life,

Sounds like an order! Will do, this Friday, even, cuz it's my paid day off for the holiday. I will bring copies of my SMR with the IBS and SACO/alcohol treatment records. AS for the PTSD test, I did the one linked through the VA.gov site, the one with 18 questions, I can't recall exactly my results, but I do remember that it said "get thee to a MH dr ASAP!" Hooray for markers! Shoot, getting anxious already.

Thanks, Steph and Shannon! Ya'll the best!

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Yes Andyman73 that is an order LOL

The test they do at the Walk-In Clinic is a basic PTSD evaluation - see below taken from my day at the Walk-In Clinic

PC PTSD A PTSD screening test (PTSD 4Q) was positive (score=4).

1. Have had any nightmares about it or thought about it when you did not want to? Yes

2. Tried hard not to think about it or went out of your way to avoid situations that remind you of it? Yes

3. Were constantly on guard, watchful, or easily startled? Yes

4. Felt numb or detached from others, activities, or your surroundings? Yes

HPI: 43 y.o. C. divorced female presented to the Access Clinic at the recommendation of her boyfriend who is a Veteran. Pt. has a negative MH hx. She has a self-reported hx of MST, continued stress r/t hostile work environment while in military which she said contributed to her ongoing eating disorder, depression and anxiety. Pt. has filed a SC disability claim for these sx. MOOD: Depressed few days per week. SLEEP: She sleeps 5 hrs. per night. She takes Melatonin but it isn't effective. Pt. has ruminating anxiety. EATING DISORDER: Vet continues to endorse eating difficulties. She takes 6 - 8 Ex-Lax tablets almost daily. She said she "starves" herself, and she has lost 28 lbs. in the last few months and she is still not happy with her appearance. Pt. continues to see herself as a "fat person" since her chief harrassed her about her wt. and called her fat in the dining hall during basic training. Pt. exercises daily for two hrs. PTSD: + Screen for MST by her superior in the military and verbal harassment about her wt. by another superior. Pt. rated her anxiety as 7/10. SI: Denied current or past suicide attempts. FIREARM: None HI: None PSYCHOSES: None MANIA/HYPOMANIA: Denied SUBTANCE ABUSE: ALCOHOL: Never problematic DRUGS: No

This was all done the day I went to Walk-In MH Clinic. It got the ball rolling b/c at the time I only had a MH claim in for my Anxiety/Eating Disorder. After disclosing my MST to the provider that prompted the Rating Office to call me and I spoke to a female that helped me every step of the way to amend my claim to add PTSD/MST (Secondary to Personal Assault).

Andyman - you are your own best advocate. Go fight for your right to be treated by brother and fellow Veteran!

Navy4life,

Thanks for sharing. I would have the same answers to those questions. I printed out the indepth version, that I did previously, I will locate and bring that with me. AS well as the various treatment records(copies) for IBS, and I had undiagnosed TMJ pain for 4-5 years, sinus infections, the alcohol screen and SACO treatment. Will have to wing it, as far as the suicide attempt goes.

How long does the initial interview at the walkin clinic take? I told my wife, and she seems to support this idea. I find it quite a plot twist that my Public Intox NJP and SACO treatment may now be the "golden egg" .

Shannon,

I'll be happy with my ugly markers!

Semper Fi