Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gathering Of Evidence Development Letter

Rate this question

shannan

Question

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I've been looking through some of your forum for the past couple of months, but this is my first post (so i hope I'm posting in the correct thread).

I submitted my FDC in January of this year. I just recently received news that I am in the Gathering of Evidence phase. Please do not judge me for what i about to say. I know many of you served honorably and i only wish that that could have been my case (it haunts me every moment of everyday). I was raped in my Advanced Training Unit and did attempt to exorcise every effort to obtain a discharge to get away from my attacker. My chain of command kept "losing" my discharge paperwork and I was forced to remain around my attacker. I am not pleased to admit it, but after a failed suicide attempt, I decided in my naive 18 year old mind that my last resort was to go AWOL. I turned myself in and was given an OTH.

So to my point, I recieved a letter stating that they do not ordinarily grant disability benefits unless it is found that i did serve honorably, although i have severe PTSD, Major Depression, and Dythsmia due to MST (all diagnosed by the VA). The letter is also asking me for all evidence i may have and my statement. They also claim they have no knowledge of me having a representative. They are going to put my claim on hold for 60 days to wait for me to send the evidence.

My Amvets representative submitted all of my statements and evidence when he filed my ebenefits claim in January. He also made it clear on official letterhead that he was representing me on this claim. Also, when he submitted the claim, he certified that this is ALL the evidence that I had to submit. Have any of you ever recieved a similar letter? If so, how did you adress it? I dont want to re-send the evidence for fear they will knock me into a regular claim. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Andyman73

Take everything with you. I was there for about an hour - I brought my boyfriend with me. When I broke down with the examiner and disclosed my eating disorder was really out of wack and the fact that I was raped it went from a normal intake to a bad situation. The examiner brought my boyfriend in after asking me if it was okay for him to come in. I said "yes" and he came in and I told him what was going on. I was then taken to the ER for a complete blood work eval b/c the examiner was concerned that I had dropped 18 pounds in a 1-1/2 months. I passed all the tests in the ER and was allowed to go home.

I suggest your wife goes with you. Go in and talk to the in take examiner and ask for her to come in after the initial meeting.

Steph

Edited by Navy4life

Steph,

I couldn't find my PTSD questionaire, from Myhealthyvet, the one with 17 Qs, so I did it again, and printed it out. I told her she is welcome to come, but she said she's got some errands to run, wasn't expecting me to be doing this. And she said she doesn't want to talk to anybody, anyway. But if they ask if I bring her to talk, I can bring her another time.

My nerves are jangling already, just thinking about it. I hardly slept more than an hour at a time last night. How long did it take, from the day you walked in, till you got your SCD award?

Andy

Andyman73,

If she can go with you it would be good. I know she doesn't want to talk about it but knowing you have someone in your life that is dealing with your PTSD is a good advocate for you. My boyfriend got blind sided when we went. He knew I was in the initial stages of my MH claim for Anxiety/Eating Disorder but that day at the Walk-In Clinic was the day my life forever changed and for the better! I came out during the meeting with the nurse about my MST, the rape, the loss of the child, my eating disorder so out of wack...I finally disclosed to him just how bad it was. When he came in the nurse took notes of his conversation in there and they were good notes for my claim. She should try and come to support you and at the same time be honest with them about your situation. Mention to the in take person about her and see if they want her to come in...can't hurt.

My original claim for MH started in May 2013 but sat dormant while the other contentions got the C/P exams. The MH was my last one and I got S/C partially in June 2014 which is what prompted me to go to the Walk In Clinic in June 2014. After that visit I received a call from a Woman at the RO office who I have her personal number and can call anytime I want. She informed me that they were amending my MH claim to add PTSD/MST (secondary to personal assault). She told me which VA forms to fill out and then to submit them through Ebennies along with all my back up documentation from my SMR. For me I NEVER reported the incident but remember what duty station, when it happened and the fact that I got pregnant and lost the child was my "clear marker".

I received a C/P exam in October 2014 for both my Eating Disorder claim and my PTSD/MST/Anxiety all in one lump exam. The exam was more of a LEGAL exam. We need to remember that a MH C/P is a LEGAL exam rather than a doctor exam. The doctor that I had that day was compassionate and very nice....I got lucky. She told me right then and there that I would get the help I needed and I would get better. She told me that I was at least 30% PTSD, which normally they don't tell you this and shouldn't but she did. I was granted in November 2014 just 3-1/2 weeks later 30% PTSD/MST/Anxiety and 0% Anorexia Nervosa. My case was a bit complex b/c of the eating disorder. It is actually a totally separate rating disability...

So the answer to your question is if you start this PTSD claim it is going to be awhile but I can say that after you have your C/P exam it should finalize quickly.

Hope I helped

Steph

Andy, Im glad to see you are taking positive steps to do this :). If I recall, after my initial intake, I went through ten weeks of Cognative Processing Therapy (CPT). They may have you do that or another program that they deem to be the latest and greatest. That also helps with the paper trail by way of markers/evidence that you may want to include in your claim. After that, as far as Im aware, you can file your FDC. Also in between those CPT appointments, I had appointments with a psychiatrist who tried to set up a good medication for me. I belief, if I recall, that it was this psychiatrist that gave me a global assessment of functioning (GAF) score. A GAF score is a very good indicator of how disabling your PTSD is for you and can go a long way for translating what percent the VBA might rate you. For instance, my GAF score at time of treatment was 45 which apparently translates to a 70% disability rating on a claim as far as I understand.

Navy4life,

Ok, that is what I was guessing 12 mos, or so. Wife's big thing is that she is concerned she may say the wrong thing and derail the whole process. She did write a witness testimony as to what it's been like, living with me for the past 16 years. This was just a few months ago. Should I enclude a copy of that, as well? I only have one contention currently running. I put in for foot condition to include plantar fasciitis. And mailed at 30 page package, that they received today, of evidence. So, maybe my MH process will be a litte quicker. And yes, Steph, you helped more than you know.

Shannon,

Yeah, no time like the present. I am interested to see how this will go, since I am now taking that all too important first step.

Thanks, guys.

Semper Fi

Andy

Andyman,

Your wife's statement is relevant and should be included. Since you have not filed a claim and you are going to have a C/P exam you can do an FDC claim for the PTSD but make sure you have all your ducks in a row. I went the traditional route so that is why mine took a bit longer but worth it to me in the long run b/c I got what I deserved. I feel for PTSD that an FDC is not the good way to go but that is just me and my opinion. If I remember correctly a C/P for MH claims are a must.

I never took the GAF test. I simply had an assessment at the walk in clinic and they tested me as positive for PTSD based on the DSMV. Also, unlike Shannon I did not go to the CPT group but rather one on one and with a women therapist due to my situation. I did not want a group setting and it was understandable for my situation so I was granted one on one therapy and I am also seeing a great therapist on the outside through Tri-West which the VA is paying for. I prefer to go this route as it is helping me mentally.

Steph