Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson's With Major Depression

Rate this question

caseyez

Question

Hi everone, I am new and this is my first post. I am currently SC for 70%. I just recieved my new claim for Parkinson's and only recieved 40% total. They tied my basic 30% Parkinsons together with my 30% Major Depression and only gave me 30% for the two, I had antother 10% item and several ohers that were noncompensable. I was very disapointed. The big question though has anyone ever hear of them combining Parkinsons and Major Depression together like that and giving only 30% for both and not 60%? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks Casey

Hi Warren

I was trying to respond to Berta as well but had internet problems for a couple hours

I am a Vietnam vet with agent orange exposure. I filed a presumptive type 2 claim for 60% a couple years ago and no problem. This one is also presumptive for the Parkinson's and secondary items. I did get a DBQ for Parkinsons and a seperate one for Major Depression . I did not file a seperate claim for Depression in the beginning. A nurse did my Parkinson exam and she turned me over to a Doc.to do the two mental questions on the Parkinson,s DBQ. As you can see above not only did i not recieve much from the secondary items on the DBQ( 10%) , the rater also combined the 30% Depression and 30% base for Parkinssons. In answer to Bertas questions: i dont know what NSC is, i did not recieve anything about TDIU with last claim (although I do know what it is), I have copies of claim scaned but dont now how to attached.

Thanks to both Berta and Warren for your responses

Casey, do you have a copy of the DBQ for Parkinson's? If so, is any other disabilities listed such as upper and lower extremities, constipation etc. Thirty percent is the maximum for Parkinson's diagnoses then the secondaries are added. I have been rated for several secondaries.

GOD BLESS

Warren, thanks so much for chiming in with your great advice for this veteran.

My question regarded NSC (non service connected) ,because of the Nehmer decision.

Had you been diagnosed with Parkinsons when you filed the DMII claim?

Did Parkinson's appear on the older rating sheet with a Non Service connected rating?

We can help more if we can see the actual recent decision, and I brought up the older rating to see if possibly VA owes you more retro under Nehmer....but the new decision is what we need to see. and the DBQ results.

As Warren said you need to access the VA Schedule of Ratings here and also the info as to how they rate the residuals of Parkinsons.

BTW, no one I know of is here 24/7 so it takes as little time to get replies from us.

Berta

I Was not diagnosed with with Parkinson when i filed DMII and did not have a non-dervice connetion for Parkinson. So I dont think i have any Nehmer connection. I have the rating decision sheets scaned on my computer but i dont see a way to attach the file here to the post, can i copy them on the post? I think you will see how they combined Major Depression to Parkisons on these sheets. I have a copy of the DBQ for Parkinsons and it shows the mild ratings on items they gave me for 0 %. There are several more marked as "None which I disagree with some of those, there where also others that never made it to to the DBQ. If you still need the copy of the DBQ let me know after I figure out how to send them. I will have to figure out how to find the Schedule of ratings.

Thanks so much to you and Warren

Casey

Casey, I suggest you go to a civilian Neurologists. My experiences with VA Neurologists are bad. Make sure you tell the civilian Neurologist all your concerns.

GOD BLESS