VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fee Basis...how Does This Work?

Rate this topic

SECOP probably means second opinion. In my case the doctor was very well known, wrote journals in medical literature, board certified for over 30 years, I looked him up on the internet before letting him do my surgery. Found out he was even head director at the university of surgery, medicine, orthopedics at a well known University. Had multiple awards for top 100 doctors, etc. guess it all depends on what VAMC you are at.

My VAMC let me choose the doctor I wanted but it took just a little more time. Your VA foot doctor would have to put in a consult to the fee based department stating which doctor you and he agree upon.

I had one work on my hand but a different on my knees. This is before I moved. The VAMC I have now does not seem to care as much, not willing to work with me and have changed or taken me off all my previous medications from my old VAMC. Come to find out each VAMC is different with different policies, different levels of care or kindliness, etc. I'm very unhappy with the VAMC I have now. Example last VAMC was very clean, beautiful, caring doctors, appointments easy to get, consults happened immediately, etc, etc. the VAMC I have now I waited for over 2 hours just to get enrolled into their system so I got pissed and left. Did online application. They scheduled me for a first time patients about 2 months away. I called the sister VAMC/CBOC and got a nice lady and she made me an earlier appointment at the same VAMC I sat at for 2 hours and cancelled that 2 month long dr appointment. Have nothing good to say about my current VAMC at all. Really wish OIG would do a investigation on it.

Sorry to ramble on but short answer is it all depends on the VAMC you are at now. Investigate the doctor doing the surgery, if not confident then ask your foot doctor for another consult for a different doctor and explain why and take in the credentials and any bad reviews, etc of the doctor that they are fee based you too. That is just my opinion

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to two doctors recently. One an orthopedist wanted to operate on my neck. The other a neurosurgeon did not want to do any surgery. Who do you believe? When it comes to surgery I would get multiple opinions because doctors have big boat payments and ex-wives.

I have a good doctor that I can use on the outside that is board certified and recommended by my boss. This doctor recently did his surgery. I am going to check him out. So when my VA Podiatrist assistant calls me next week to discuss the surgery I should mention that I have a doctor in mind? My VA Podiatrist is putting in the consult for VA fee basis. We discussed this earlier this week at my visit b/c he is back logged through September for surgery. I am a bit hesitant to go to a doctor who knows nothing of my history and I was considering waiting on the procedure until my VA Podiatrist could do the surgery. I am in a pickle about this dilemma.

I would check on both VA doctor and doctor your boss suggested. See which one has better qualifications.

My uncle is a doctor he told me once, what do you call a doctor that graduated with a "A" in medical school? He said a doctor. Then said what do you call a doctor that graduated with a low "C" in medical school? He said a doctor. Ha ha

Point is like forest gump, you never know what you get from a box of chocolates!

I just do my research and see which one has practiced longer, qualifications, any negative reviews, schools they attended, if they are part of any other accreditations, etc. then let my gut and God tell me which way to go.

My old VAMC I would let operate on me in a heart beat. The one I have now I'm afraid they will kill me by taking my blood pressure.

Sorry not much help on deciding. VA doctors will give you the least amount of convalacent leave time as outside doctors tend to give longer leave times. Every outside doctor I have been too has 2 hospitals they do surgery out of. I check out the hospital reviews as well. Guess that's the part of PTSD I have and lack of trust of people especially the VA.

My civilian doctor notes, etc are all correct about 98%. All my VA records are about 90% wrong! Things added, things not added, tests they said they did when they didn't, etc. heck even nursing notes at VA all say that I deny any pain, depression, PTSD, any flu shots, my pain scale and what pain score I can tolerate. Say walk in normally when my mother in law pushed me in on a wheel chair due to bilateral knee surgery. Puts in my blood pressure is 130/80 when it is always averaging 150/98.

So when your getting your blood pressure checked and nurse is typing away on the computer she is answering questions for you on her opinion.

I was probably no help what so ever, just my opinion and what I have experienced.

My old VAMC doctors saved me on accuracy, most of them redid all the blood pressure and questions which were total opposite of what nurse said she did and what she said she asked me.

God bless and hope that I didn't ramble on too much. Just do your research of each doctor, hospital, gut feeling and ask God and don't stress over it.

saint13

I called the doctor my boss recommended and they don't do the VA Fee Basis. So will wait until I speak to my Podiatrist's nurse next week and see how I can get the outside doctor referral. I am a little hesitant to use an outside doctor since that doctor knows NOTHING about me or my ankle/foot/toe. I am almost considering just waiting for my doctor at the VA to do it.

I also spoke to my rep at the RO office and she gave me some sound advice. She stated that not all surgeries will warrant the temporary 100% and that if my ankle/foot/toe get better I could lose the 10% rating or it could get increased. That it is a gamble. I really just want my ankle/foot/toe better. She mentioned this b/c she said that I should apply for the temporary 100% and the increase of the disability at the same time. She said get the surgeon's notes and what they recommend for convalescent leave time. After the surgery is done, I should submit everything through FDC claim.

We will see....

BTW Saint13 no rambling on your part...appreciate the conversation!