Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gerd As An Environmental Hazard In Gulf

Rate this question

AmericanPharoah

Question

Hi, long time user but first time question asker...

I just started

using the ebenefits online page. I put in a claim in 2008 for gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, which was denied. Under the "Rated Disabilities" section, It has the GERD listed, with the decision as "Not Service Connected". In the column next to it titled "Related To", it has an explanation of "Environmental Hazard in Gulf War". I'm not an expert by any means, but if my GERD is related to an environmental hazard in the Gulf War shouldn't I be compensated for it? Any

suggestions on how to proceed?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/sources/index.asp

Basically it is just lip service at this time... but the above site recommends to " Join the Gulf War Registry and the Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry to document your exposures and health concerns."

They are still studying the airborne hazard issue.

However there are many Gulf War presumptives that are listed at this link.

Actually this page explains them better:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/index.asp

VA will service connect GERD to NSAIDS if they have prescribed long term use of NSAIDs for you

Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs: (NSaids)

aspirin and ibuproven are the most popular ones, and Afdvil, motrin etc

Do you have any of the presumptives that you could claim?

And Welcome here!

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I thought that drug addiction was an environmental hazard of the Vietnam War just as surely as agent orange. In 1970 S. Vietnam was flooded by cheap and almost pure heroin. American troops fell under its spell in my unit by the dozens. I often wonder if it was another tactic of the NVA to demoralize the troops and make them unfit for combat. The US military lied and exaggerated the dangers of pot to such a degree that is was laughable. Why would those same troops feel that little vials of a white powder could hurt them after all the lies the military and society told us about pot. How many nights did I take speed to stay awake on guard duty? It didn't hurt me. However, heroin addiction could have hurt me. I escaped that fate but many didn't. I think drug addiction should be presumptive for service in Vietnam including alcoholism. I was 19 years old and could get a drink of vodka for 50 cents at the EM club. Is that drug pushing since alcohol is one of the most dangerous and destructive drugs in the world. Alcohol is still the drug of choice for victims of PTSD. As I get older I feel more and more betrayed by those old men and fellow citizens that sent me and my generation to a war they did not know how, or intend to win.

John