Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Award Changed To 90% + Other Benefits

Rate this question

Whiskey13

Question

Back after six months, which is pretty rude of me. The information I received from everyone here when my life went to hell was directly responsible for helping me through this. I cannot thank you guys and gals enough!

I was originally rate at 80% and applied for TDUI after being unjustly fired for being a disabled vet. I applied in January and received the VA's decision last week. It has me more confused than ever. I have been bumped up to 90% with the following additions according to the letter;

1. Monthly Benefit - 3,400 (+1 dependant).

2. Dependants' Educational Assistance, Chapter 35
3. Individual Unemployability - Effective 9 Dec 14

4. Entitlement to Special Monthly Compensation based on Housebound

5.PTSD bumped from 50% to 70%

6. Sciatica bumped from 0% to 10%

7. All other ratings remain the same; bronchitis 10%, wrist 10%, lower back 10%.

I understand how they came up with the 90% rating, but I am confused about being awarded Individual Unemployability and the SMC. Aren't these only awarded at 100%?

They don't break down what monetary amount is applicable to what and I can't find anything that adds up to the montly amount they have awarded.

Can anyone explain the 90% versus the IU? And the award of the SMC?

That's great news! You are getting the 3415.15/MO as I am. The IU puts you in a special payment scale. I think mine was called SM1. You automatically are considered 100% total & permanent. You qualify for a ton of additional benefits now. I now has access to any commissary in the world. My wife can (did) get Medical & Rx coverage. Up to 30k Extra life insurance. Premium is waived if you are under 65. It's all good! Wife can also get college paid for.Congratz.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Congrats on the TDIU. The "plus other benefits" had me wondering if that might be something that you might or might not want from the VA. Congrats on the win!

IU can be added to just about any rating. IU automatically puts your "other benefits" at what a person with a 100% rating gets. You have to look up the your rating scale for special monthly compensation benefits. Mine is SMC (S-1). if you go to the EC benefits website you would click on Additional Benefits. there you will see the special monthly compensation benefit. click on that and you'll see the effective date and the type of special benefit you're receiving click on that and I'll tell you how you got it. Otherwise man don't try to over analyze it! You're good!

IU can be added to just about any rating. IU automatically puts your "other benefits" at what a person with a 100% rating gets. You have to look up the your rating scale for special monthly compensation benefits. Mine is SMC (S-1). if you go to the Ebenefits website you would click on Additional Benefits. there you will see the special monthly compensation benefit. click on that and you'll see the effective date and the type of special benefit you're receiving click on that and It will tell you how you got it. Otherwise man don't try to over analyze it! You're good!

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats on the P&T status......Now you need to check on property exemption on your Taxes, and thing that your state will give you on the DMV side. Commissary ID's, State park discounts and so on.......There is a long list out there that you can benefit from.