• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Federal Retirement

Rate this question

ghost27d

Question

John999 is the expert here on that.

Congrats.

Are you disabled by a service disability?

At some point FERS disability requires a SSDI application to be made.

I have friend whose back injury in service was damaged by his VA job.It was well documented in his SMRs but he never applied for VA comp when he retired..

He applied for SC comp, FERS and SSDI all about the same time and was awarded all of above.

But VA lowballed his SC at 10% for the back injury yet he claims FERS and SSDI awarded him solely for the back injury.

If so, he would be eligible for TDIU (and under CRDP recover some or all his retiree offset amount)

he was here the other day....and still has not applied for TDIU.....years after the fact so maybe there was more to this than what he told me.

A SC disability. if FERs awards and SSDI awards solely for it, can become a TDIU award.

John will see this post and will correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Also I believe hadit member georgiapapa

is retired from the US Federal Marshalls Agency!

...................Buck

Buck,

I had a regular retirement (CSRS) from the federal government. I have very little knowledge about the federal disability retirement program but there is information about FERS federal disability retirement on the OPM.gov website. Sorry I couldn't help more.

GP

According to the OPM website:

"Interim payments can be authorized only after the disability application has been allowed and your agency has notified OPM of the date your pay stopped and OPM has a copy of your receipt for application for social security disability benefits or social security decision letter. Interim payments are intended to help you financially until OPM can compute the actual amount of your annuity. OPM can complete processing of your case only after your final retirement records and all other supporting documentation have been received from your agency."

Hope this helps.

GP