VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva

Rate this question

carolinian

Question

My dependents have Champva and we received a packet in which gave us a lot of information about how this work and what all is covered etc..... We also read that Champva only covers 75% of the overall cost for medical services rendered to a consumer. What other companies offer good secondary insurance or is this info in the packet incorrect? Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

I have had health insurance with about 5 different companies in my lifetime. Prudential, Blue Cross, Premier, and a few others that I can not recall.

Of these, Champva is the best. You should also soon be eligible for medicare, because if you get Champva that means you are 100 percent and can probably get social security disabilty also. This means you get Part A for free, but have to pay about 104 dollars per month if you want medicare part B. I do recommend Part B when the time comes. In my state you can get PART B OR a medicare supplement such as Premier for the same cost. Other states you may have to pay more, depending on the coverage you elect.

Unless you have a "special circumstance" such as a child who has special medical needs, then

My opinion is that you dont need "other insurance", other than Champva and medicare parts A or B (or the low/no cost medicare supplement often available at the same cost as medicare part b). Years ago, when I was in the insurance biz, we loved people like you. They bought every kind of insurance under the sun.

Im not sure about your 75% thing. My wife has been on Champva for about 5 years and I dont think we have paid more than a couple hundred bucks total in the past 5 years for medical care for her. And she is not all that healthy either, with multiple multiple things wrong with her. She has gotten things like knee braces when she injured her knee, all kinds of meds, a heart monitor, multiple trips to the ER, and we will even have an upcoming hosptial stay.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with broncovet,& my spouse has a lot of disabilitys too!

My spouse as been with ChampVA 14 years and the people in ChampVA office recommended this extra supplemental insurance to cover the other 25% that ChampVA don't cover, It's called Selman & Company Insurance the cost is 7300 monthly and they have a 6 month wait on pre existing conditions

but she is covered for any new ones and you can add your dependents...I'm not to sure about that as its just me and my spouse.

Now here is the kicker, you will have to join ( AMRA ) ''American Military Retires Association'' Membership & be 100%SC & P&T... 100% Disable VA Rating they may let you join if your not P&T?? the cost for AMRA membership is 25.00 year.

But you have to join to be able to qualify for Selman. (why I don't know)

I Didn't want to join that but it was the only way we could get everything covered for my spouse & it is still cheaper insurance than what we had check with 4 other Insurance Company's .

Selman They pay the other 25% that champVA don't cover.

Maybe this helps?

................................Buck

Covers 75% leaving you the remaining 25%. But the best thing is there is a maximum out of pocket of $3,000 a year. There are a few companies that offer supplemental insurance. After paying their premiums and deductibles of about $1,800 a year, the savings having a supplemental is about $1,200 a year. That's if you have $12,000 in medical bills.

Some great comments above. My mother and wife have both had Champva for years. Now they both have Champva and Medicare (part A and part B). Basically, they have 100% coverage. I wish veterans were offered Champva. Like Broncovet, my wife and I have had coverage by several insurance companies during our lifetime, Without exception, Champva is the best insurance out there. One thing not mentioned above is Champva's "Meds by Mail" program where Champva members without other prescription coverage can get free prescriptions by mail with no copays.

GP