Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fdc Filed In April. Will Filing Docs To Support Ptsd Kick It Out?

Rate this question

Marineswife

Question

Hello,

What an awesome site you have here! I have been trying to get my husband to file for benefits for years and finally talked him into seeing a psychiatrist and then filing an FDC in April. I am just beginning to learn the ropes of this whole deal and now I am concerned that we might not have included "enough" documentation on his FDC (filed with our county VA rep, not a VSO- which I personally think was a mistake now...).

My husband has been seeing the VA for about 8 years for his medical problems but the rep advised us to go ahead and file on his PTSD and hearing loss/Tinnitus since I had all of that documentation (including a Nexus letter from his Psychiatrist) readily available to me. It takes quite a bit to get my husband anywhere near any kind of "official place of business" due to his general distrust of all things "official" but, since I finally got him there, I thought we might as well make hay while the sun shines, and file.

We included the Application, all of our birth certs, marriage licenses, his DD214, the Nexus letter but, we did not include any 21-0781 form(s) as the rep stated that because he had received combat pay in Vietnam and a Cross of Gallantry and the Psychiatrist had stated a direct correlation between some "stressors" and his PTSD, that we didn't need to send any letters of support or additional documentation. All of his health records are from the VA so, those were not included either.

Now I am wondering if we did the right thing? He has many other things going on but, we felt like this would at least get the ball rolling for him. My question is - If I send additional documentation that is directly related to the two conditions he filed, will that kick him out of the FDC process?

Hello,

What an awesome site you have here! I have been trying to get my husband to file for benefits for years and finally talked him into seeing a psychiatrist and then filing an FDC in April. I am just beginning to learn the ropes of this whole deal and now I am concerned that we might not have included "enough" documentation on his FDC (filed with our county VA rep, not a VSO- which I personally think was a mistake now...).

My husband has been seeing the VA for about 8 years for his medical problems but the rep advised us to go ahead and file on his PTSD and hearing loss/Tinnitus since I had all of that documentation (including a Nexus letter from his Psychiatrist) readily available to me. It takes quite a bit to get my husband anywhere near any kind of "official place of business" due to his general distrust of all things "official" but, since I finally got him there, I thought we might as well make hay while the sun shines, and file.

We included the Application, all of our birth certs, marriage licenses, his DD214, the Nexus letter but, we did not include any 21-0781 form(s) as the rep stated that because he had received combat pay in Vietnam and a Cross of Gallantry and the Psychiatrist had stated a direct correlation between some "stressors" and his PTSD, that we didn't need to send any letters of support or additional documentation. All of his health records are from the VA so, those were not included either.

Now I am wondering if we did the right thing? He has many other things going on but, we felt like this would at least get the ball rolling for him. My question is - If I send additional documentation that is directly related to the two conditions he filed, will that kick him out of the FDC process?

Yes, you will be booted from FDC if you send any additional evidence. All the Psych documents you sent will help but he will still need to attend a VA Exam PTSD Initial. Does he have any Combat medals? I assume he has a Vietnam service medal and Campaign Medal? Thats great that you submitted the 0781. Because if you didn't then he likely would have been booted from FDC.

If he has any of these medals than the 0781 is not required.

• Air Force Achievement Medal with "V" Device;
  • Air Force Combat Action Medal;
  • Air Force Commendation Medal with "V" Device;
  • Air Force Cross;
  • Air Medal with "V" Device;
  • Army Commendation Medal with "V" Device;
  • Bronze Star Medal with "V" Device;
  • Combat Action Badge;
  • Combat Action Ribbon (Prior to February 1969, the Navy Achievement Medal with "V" Device was awarded.);
  • Combat Aircrew Insignia;
  • Combat Infantry/Infantryman Badge;
  • Combat Medical Badge;
  • Distinguished Flying Cross;
  • Distinguished Service Cross;
  • Joint Service Commendation Medal with "V" Device;
  • Medal of Honor;
  • Navy Commendation Medal with "V" Device;
  • Navy Cross;
  • Purple Heart; and
  • Silver Star.

Thank you so much for your reply but, I need to clarify. We did NOT include the 0781 as the rep stated it wasn't necessary because he has received a Cross of Gallantry and also received Combat pay according to his paperwork.

He has been "Under Review" since 4/27/15 according to Ebenefits and we just received the standard "please be patient" letter.

Hopefully this rep has not steered us in the wrong direction? I am feeling so confused by all of this FDC/not FDC stuff! I have a Masters degree in Nursing and I swear, this is more involved than my thesis was! We stopped by a VSO (purple heart division) office at our local hospital while my husband was awaiting some lung studies. The lady there suggested that we just go ahead and submit EVERYTHING else and forget about the FDC because (according to her) it will only add about another 90 days to the process? But then I jump on here and see the horror stories about 4-5 years of the non FDC claims....

I am really not quite sure where to go from here. I guess we are in need of an appt with a VSO (he has been assigned the DAV) is in order.

Thank you so much for your reply but, I need to clarify. We did NOT include the 0781 as the rep stated it wasn't necessary because he has received a Cross of Gallantry and also received Combat pay according to his paperwork.

He has been "Under Review" since 4/27/15 according to Ebenefits and we just received the standard "please be patient" letter.

Hopefully this rep has not steered us in the wrong direction? I am feeling so confused by all of this FDC/not FDC stuff! I have a Masters degree in Nursing and I swear, this is more involved than my thesis was! We stopped by a VSO (purple heart division) office at our local hospital while my husband was awaiting some lung studies. The lady there suggested that we just go ahead and submit EVERYTHING else and forget about the FDC because (according to her) it will only add about another 90 days to the process? But then I jump on here and see the horror stories about 4-5 years of the non FDC claims....

I am really not quite sure where to go from here. I guess we are in need of an appt with a VSO (he has been assigned the DAV) is in order.

Cross of Gallantry unless something change doesn't waive the 0781. He will get an exam for the PTSD Initial, but for whatever reason if he walks out of the exam w/o a dx of PTSD that 0781 can help him still get SC and if you didn't submit and VBA sends you a letter for the 0781 and you return it then you're out of FDC. FDC will not speed up the process. The only benefit for FDC is if you get SC on your original claim you will receive an additional 12 months of retro pay.

How many contentions does he have so far just PTSD?

Why take the chance with the FDC, you'll know soon enough if the rating Dept kicks your claim to a Reg XXX Claim. If they decide that more or a certain type of Medical Evidence is necessary, you'll be advised in due course.

From your post, the PTSD is the main SC Claim. At this point, nothing more you can provide, his PTSD C&P will be the determining factor in his eventual SC award. Under the New (couple Years Now) VA PTSD regs, the DBQ completed during his upcoming C&P will rule the day and Trump all others. VA C&P PTSD Psychiatrists and Psychologists Phd, are specially trained to do a forensic type exam to eliminate any possibility of a Vet exaggerating their symptoms for gain. If his SMRs back up his stress-ors, the rest is on how he handles himself at the C&P.

The Tinnitus claim, no real test for it. DD214, MOS and SMR's either back up his exposure to a known cause or not. His statements regarding noise exposure pre & post discharge and continuity of symptoms will rule the day on the 10% SC.

Semper Fi

Gastone

"as the rep stated that because he had received combat pay in Vietnam and a Cross of Gallantry and the Psychiatrist had stated a direct correlation between some "stressors" and his PTSD, that we didn't need to send any letters of support or additional documentation. All of his health records are from the VA so, those were not included either."

The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry (Anh Dũng Bội Tinh) is an award from the Vietnamese Government and not a proof of a stressor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallantry_Cross_%28Vietnam%29

When my husband's DD 215 came, they could only send some of the medals and/or ribbons and told him to purchase this medal and I think another Vietnam medal, at a PX ( these days the decorations from Vietnam noted on DD 214s or 215s can be purchased on line.) Our Goverment does not issue them.

Your husband will surely have to prove his stressor unless the psychiatrist was also in Vietnam and gave an eye witness account of the stressor.Or if he has the PH, CAR, or CIB on his DD214/215. ***

The CAR was not awarded by the USMC in the early years of the War. It can be applied for ....the app is here somewhere... at hadit.

(*** Possible. ...my husband experienced that unusual situation.He was diagnosed with PTSD and also a claim was filed with a 'Buddy' statement from the Chief of Psychiatry Newark NJ) , the very first time he went to VA, for a business loan, .........he didnt even know what PTSD was.) The shrink provided immediate counseling in Vietnam at the scene of a horrific volunteer job my husband and a few other Marines had done. One of his VA shrinks when we moved to NY was also an incountry Vietnam Veteran.)

I think one of the best steps you can take at this point is to start working on any proof he could need for his stressor (s)

USMC Vietnam...he probably had more than one.

My husband had to file out a stressor section of a booklet prior to his hospitalization in the PTSD inhouse program at Buffalo, 10 years after his original PTSD award..

It took him a week to fill that section out because he got so stressed up doing it.. I think they went with the original Newark stressor because, as far as I know, they never verified anything else...but maybe they did....although by then he had a major stroke, he could still remember dates, places, and names and I found verification of one stressor right away and all the rest ,in my opinion, would have been easy to prove.

It isnt the most horrific event that VA bases a SC PTSD award on, it is the one that can be proven, so it is best to list the one they can easily verify first.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Sorry to see that you are going crazy with this whole claim process like the rest of us. I agree with the above, I would just wait it out and see what happens. Usually when I thought my claim was going bad, it actually turned out well. Good luck and God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars