Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dro Appeal - Timeline?

Rate this question

stnorm23

Question

I filed my claim upon retirement in 2013, got my decision (30%) in Nov 2014, filed my NOD with request for DRO review/hearing/face-to-face meeting in Jan 2015. I visited the VFW (which shares an office with the Regional Office in Tampa) and provided all my new evidence (Letter from doctors, DBQs, X-Rays, MRIs) and was told that they would be shocked if I was not granted 50 - 60% based on new evidence and that they would "walk the paperwork up" to the DRO and see if they could review it soon since I have provided all the evidence they could possibly need and it should be pretty cut and dry (either approve the appeal or send it forward).

QUESTION: VFW is now telling me that they updated all the evidence and that my package is "in line" to be reviewed by the DRO and that it will probably take somewhere around 24 months from the date the NOD was filed. Is this normal? Is it only the Tampa office that takes this long for DRO review? I read on a legal website that I should "call the Station Hearing Coordinator at the VA Regional Office and ask for the first available meeting with the DRO". Anyone ever heard of that? I knew going on this was a long process, but I see other stories of people getting a meeting with the DRO within 6 - 9 months for filing the NOD? If I have to wait.....I wait.....but if I should be doing something else to speed this up, I want to make sure I do it.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

stnorm23 - 6-9 months is generally the old time period, which is now closer to 18-24 months. DRO's are usually senior VSR's and, therefore, there are fewer of them. Many retired in recent years. You can try calling them, as I doubt it would hurt your claim. I believe we have a VSR posting, here, at Hadit, so you could ask them. His/her moniker is: USN_HM_VSR. jmo

pr

On 7/13/2015 at 10:46 AM, Philip Rogers said:

stnorm23 - 6-9 months is generally the old time period, which is now closer to 18-24 months. DRO's are usually senior VSR's and, therefore, there are fewer of them. Many retired in recent years. You can try calling them, as I doubt it would hurt your claim. I believe we have a VSR posting, here, at Hadit, so you could ask them. His/her moniker is: USN_HM_VSR. jmo

pr

Any update on this ? Currently approaching 19 months on my NOD.  C&P exams done 2 months ago and service connection granted per c&p results. 

On 7/13/2015 at 10:25 AM, stnorm23 said:

I filed my claim upon retirement in 2013, got my decision (30%) in Nov 2014, filed my NOD with request for DRO review/hearing/face-to-face meeting in Jan 2015. I visited the VFW (which shares an office with the Regional Office in Tampa) and provided all my new evidence (Letter from doctors, DBQs, X-Rays, MRIs) and was told that they would be shocked if I was not granted 50 - 60% based on new evidence and that they would "walk the paperwork up" to the DRO and see if they could review it soon since I have provided all the evidence they could possibly need and it should be pretty cut and dry (either approve the appeal or send it forward).

QUESTION: VFW is now telling me that they updated all the evidence and that my package is "in line" to be reviewed by the DRO and that it will probably take somewhere around 24 months from the date the NOD was filed. Is this normal? Is it only the Tampa office that takes this long for DRO review? I read on a legal website that I should "call the Station Hearing Coordinator at the VA Regional Office and ask for the first available meeting with the DRO". Anyone ever heard of that? I knew going on this was a long process, but I see other stories of people getting a meeting with the DRO within 6 - 9 months for filing the NOD? If I have to wait.....I wait.....but if I should be doing something else to speed this up, I want to make sure I do it.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Any update on this ? approaching  19 months for my NOD. All cp exams done and evidence submitted in my favor, thanks.