Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav Comments On Expedited Claim

Rate this question

green

Question

I went to talk to the local DAV rep yesterday as I wanted to know how best to address the award date errors in the VA electronic systems. I explained to him that after calling the DAV 5 times and never receiving a call back I decided to pursue an expedited claim myself and submit it through Ebenefits. This guy told me a few things I wanted to run past the community to find out if they are true or BS.

• First he told me that I shouldn't have used Ebenefits but should have rather brought the claim to him so that he could put it in a DAV envelope and sent it to the Regional Office via courier.
  • He said that anything the DAV submits is considered an expedited claim and will go through the system as fast as a veteran using Ebenefits.
  • He said that as the DAV is checked as my service organization the first thing the Regional Office will do is send my claim file to the DAV for review which they will do and then send it back to the Regional Office (he said this will take extra time and slow down the process and that had I brought my file to them first the time delay would not be an issue).

Is any of this true?

Thank you,

Green

Green

• HadIt.com Elder

That is exactly why I recommend a veteran not use them. Give us some details so we can assist you on what to do.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Early on, I tried to use the states DVS. That sort of was OK for submitting a simple one issue claim.

Beyond that FORGET IT! Same problem, never returned calls, etc. It also worthy of note that

the state reps at the VARO are also service org reps. The state and the VA pay part of the expenses,

and salary, since the reps are state employees. I have no idea what the service orgs pay or don't pay.

In my county there also is a DVS rep. The major use is in the tax abatement process. The tax assessor

does not accept the VA's 100% T&P letter. The DVS rep generates yet another letter, based on the VA

letter, then the veteran takes both to the tax assessor. One more unneeded step in the process!

So I assume given the response from jbasser and chuck that the DAV rep information is not true. Is there a mechanism in Ebenefits to deselect a representative without selecting another? I doesn't seem to allow you to make that election.

Green

• HadIt.com Elder

Unless things have changed, you have to submit a form to change the representation. Which one, I'm not sure.

The form I used that over rode the earlier VSO appointment was the one used to appoint an attorney.

A quick look using VA's forms search pulled up the various appointment forms, but not a de-appointment one.

Actually, The VA did not properly and completely change everything until I complained via the "call Peggy"

bit.

• HadIt.com Elder

Be advised that when you sign a POA they can represent you. This also means they can act as you.

If you are not happy with them, you can fire them.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I'm thinking about changing the POA to an attorney I spoke with prior to submitting my claims for secondary conditions. They really can't represent me until the claims are decided/rated but I believe this election would be of more benefit than the DAV.

P.S. jbasser, I really appreciate the podcasts, thank you for moderating.

Edited by green

Green