VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Info On What Needs To Be In An Imo/ime ? Any Samples ?

Rate this question

sdvet33

Question

Hello everyone,

First i'd like to thank everyone on here who has been a great help to me in the past. I appreciate everything everyone here has done for me.

My situation is that i was told i need an IME/IMO to strengthen my case for 100% TDIU and for my SSDI benefits. Currently i am at 80% and My VSO and everyone who has seen my file thinks i should be getting TDIU and SSDI. I recently had a psych appointment rescheduled and its wasn't until October so the V.A allowed me to use the Choice program and go to a civilian doctor. I asked the Civilian Doc if she could write me a IME/IMO and she said she had never written one but would be willing to write something. I told her kind of what i thought it was and what needs to be on there but i don't know much about them. She used to work at the V.A and specializes in PTSD cases so i think she knows her stuff as far as PTSD goes.

Anyway i was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what all needs to be on there. I just told her it's an evaluation and needs to include all my symptoms. Can anyone give me some guidance, and or, provide me with a sample/template/ or copy of their IME/IMO. It would be much appreciated. I've looked around for other Docs and their trying to charge me a couple grand and i have no money. If i could get a solid definition to what needs to be written i could get this doc to help me.

Any information i can get will help.

Thank you in advance i appreciate it.

• HadIt.com Elder

That is OK.

Remember an IMO is a Doctor writing an opinion based on your records.

AN IME is the doctor actually examining you and also providing an opinion based on the records and the exam. IME is more concrete.

Basser

I guess i need an IME. It's a civilian psych doctor who i do regular sessions with so she knows my symptoms etc... She also has access to my V.A records i believe since it's the V.A who sent me to her. I just need to know what needs to be in there. I just can't afford to pay for an IME right now and she says she will write something for me for free.

Like i said she specializes in PTSD and used to work at the V.A so she has that knowledge but she's never written a IME

• HadIt.com Elder

2 years ago the VA changed the rules via the federal register. You cannot submit an IMO from an outside doc for PTSD unless that doctor is actually treating you.

They have stacked the deck against the veteran. If the doc you are talking about still works for the VA in any capacity it may be ok.

JBasser

2 years ago the VA changed the rules via the federal register. You cannot submit an IMO from an outside doc for PTSD unless that doctor is actually treating you.

They have stacked the deck against the veteran. If the doc you are talking about still works for the VA in any capacity it may be ok.

JBasser

Does that also apply to an IME, was thinking about hiring one to do just that at the end of the year.

Go to the DBQ's for PTSD. Focus on 2 things:

1. Service connection.

YOu have to have 3 things for SC for PTSD. Current diagnosis of PTSD, verification of in service event (stressor), and nexus between the two. The IMO/IME needs to say something close to : The Veterans PTSD is at least as likely as not due to (then list stressor) when in military service.

2. Disability percentage. This is documented by the doctor listing your symptoms.

The doctor will help you if she opines an effective date. Something like, "I have reviewed the Veterans records. I began his treatement for PTSD on Oct 4, 2011, where he had previously been treated by xxx doctor. According to this Veterans history, his PTSD is documented on/ May, 2004, when the record first indicates he (then cite the doctors report where you had a PTSD related incident or treatment) had symptoms consistent with a PTSD diagnosis.

Edited by broncovet