Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can The Va Doctor Refuse To Fill Out Long Term Disability Forms From Insurance Company?

Rate this question

freedomisntfree

Question

The company I work for has given me paperwork from our insurance company for long term disability.

My service connected disabilities are the reason I had to quit working. The company I worked for filled out there section, I filled out my section and now the physician section needs to be filled out and I am playing hell to get the VA doctors to fill it out. My primary care provider filled his section out without any problems but the section the psychiatrist and neurologist are to fill out needs done but I am getting nowhere with it.

I was told they had to cooperate with the medical assessments. Is that true or can they decline to fill it out?

It is very important these are filled out by them or the long term disability will be denied. Anyone know if there is a directive that tells them to assist

freedomisntfree

I noticed that you're 90%. Since you're being let go by your company, due to your service connected disabilities, did you file for TDIU with VA?

Also, since your situation deals with your company's disability insurance, you need to look into Social Security Disability Insurance [sSDI]. When I was put on permanent disability from my Federal Job, I had to file for SSDI. So I do receive VA, Federal employees permanent disability, and SSDI.

Life is GOOD!!!! Could be better if VA did what it is paid to do.

100% - P&T - Heart [iCD] *

80% - Renal Dysfunction**

40% - Type 1 Diabetic [Not AO related]

10% - GERDS

0% - Gallbladder Removal [Currently under appeal]

0% - SCARS

0% - Hypertension [downgraded with 100% Heart]

SMC(K-1) - ED

SMC(S-1) - * & **

Zeelarry,

I plan on filing for TDIU as well as SSDI. It's just so much paperwork so I am doing one at a time. I didn't realize the paperwork that is needed and the resistance in getting it completed. Hopefully I have everything done before my admission in the inpatient RRTP. That is 9 weeks long and will certainly slow me down. Actually I'm not sure if I will be able to complete the program because I really hate leaving the house let alone stay away from the house. But I am going to give it a shot.

I also have two additional claims to file and waiting on my appeal that has been stagnant for the last two years.

Thanks

How would a vet get a PTSD DBQ filled out? by the Docs?

I was thinking bout printing out the ptsd DBQ and asking my MH Dr to fill it ot....or does this need to be a private Dr?

I heard all of the PTSD claims need to be done by VA Doc'S??

Its usually the same one the C&P Examiner uses in his report right?

I am confused?

Buck,

"How would a vet get a PTSD DBQ filled out? by the Docs?"

If you have been receiving treatment for PTSD from your VA hospital and do not have a diagnosis a DBQ would be filled out at your C&P by the clinician providing the exam. All you have to do is file the claim for PTSD using VA Form 21-526. If you are already SC for PTSD then file VA form 21-8940 for an increase.

But remember in order to successfully get an increase you have to risk your original rating and the VA uses that to discourage requests for increases in disability ratings. You need to make sure that the doctor's evaluation states that the original underlying condition for which you were rated is still present and undiminished and that those underlying and persistent conditions have been aggravated through the process of conducting your normal life, not as a result of any misjudgments or misconduct on your part.

Remember, you are going to be examined by a contract doctor who is beholden to the VA for their contract to conduct exams. The evidence has to be compelling (almost overwhelming) and supported by concrete medical documentation.

"I was thinking bout printing out the ptsd DBQ and asking my MH Dr to fill it ot....or does this need to be a private Dr?"

No need to print it out and ask your MH doctor to fill out the DBQ. I don't think they would fill it out due to prejudice and VA policy on filling out VA and non-VA forms.

It does not need to be a private doctor the VA has qualified specially trained clinicians who fill them out.

Yes a private doctor can fill out a DBQ as long as they have an active medical license and sign it attesting to the condition on the completed DBQ. But not all of VA’s DBQs can be filled out by private physicians. If you are receiving treatment from a doctor outside of the VA, you need to understand that they are not permitted to fill out forms for some conditions, because only the VA can document certain things. VA limits these to its own examiners, because the VA requires specialized training, specialized equipment, or specialized testing generally not available through private providers. So the VA thinks.

"I heard all of the PTSD claims need to be done by VA Doc'S??"

That is correct. The VA will not take a diagnosis of PTSD from a private mental health doctor. For the initial diagnosis of PTSD a VA MH physician must provide the diagnosis and complete the DBQ. But if you have already have a diagnosis by the VA with PTSD then a private mental health doctor may complete the PTSD DBQ (VA Form 21-0960P3).

"It's usually the same one the C&P Examiner uses in his report right?"

Yes, the C&P Examiner is usually the one who fills the DBQ out not you attending MH physician.

Edited by freedomisntfree