Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Vs Anxiety Vs Panic Attacks And The Dsm-V

Rate this question

KYVet

Question

Need help clarifying the VA's clarification.

I was recently confused about the difference of anxiety vs PTSD. I thought I gained an understanding about it when I realized one major difference was a traumatic event.

Recently I went to my VA appt and asked for clarification on this issue and why they are treating me for anxiety instead of PTSD. I have had two traumatic events that qualify as a nexus. I experience most if not all of the PTSD symptoms such as anger outbursts, hypervigilance, panic attacks, chronic sleep disturbance, flashbacks, etc.

My psych doc advised under the new DSM-V PTSD is at the end of a continuum starting with anxiety then panic attacks in the middle, and ptsd at the end:

anxiety--------------->panic attacks[----------]------->ptsd

He stated all of these fall under anxiety disorders in the new DSM-V.

He stated that I would fall under the upper third of this continuum, as indicated by the brackets. I am currently preparing a claim, i.e. gathering evidence of stressors, buddy notes, etc. However, I am even more confused now about what my claim should be for: anxiety disorder/panic attacks/or ptsd.

I just don't want to file for something that they would say i have not met the level of and there for denied. But I do not want to file a claim that is going to fall short of what I am going through either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And as always many thanks to those who served before me and to those who continue the tradition onto the next generation.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd file for the PTSD, But also remember anything a Dr quotes verbally can not be used as evidence it needs to be in writing, aslo you may want to check with the MH Dr in charge of you treating you make sure he/she is stat qualified certified License Accredited Doc in this field of medicine that gives you a PTSD Diagnoses

NP (Nurse Practitioners)diagnose may or may not hold any credit with those raters.

although the MH Dr.s sign off on there opinion's

depends on what kind of rater you get some of them raters don't know Jack.

jmo

.....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

KYvet I was in the exam same situation the psychatrist didnt really want to state I had PTSD he offically diagnoised me with Anxiety disorder NOS and major Depression. For months he would say I had symptoms of PTSD but wouldn't put that on paper. Finally he stated in my notes that I might have ptsd and sent me to a psychologist who stated I have PTSD chronic. The VA also said I had a Personality Disorder which he verbally told me was BS but he wouldn't refute the personality disorder dx in his notes. It seems to me these folks will never note anything that contradicts what a nother MH doc states no matter how ridiculous the DX. Hang in there man sooner or later you will get a Doc with a backbone.

I was diagnosed with PTSD with agoraphobia and panic disorder (panic attacks) , they rated me at 80% non-combat related (70% for ptsd, 10% for degenerative arthur in my back and knees, 10% for tiinitus bilateral due to perferated ear drums due to ied) even though I am not working. The shrink told me that you can have only one claim under mental health , so they combined them. I am currently appealing for 100% due to not being able to work and for the noncombat related decision. All my conditions are related to combat. Send everything you have when you claim ( CIB,CAB,AAM, anything that you recieved) it can make a difference. Good Luck