Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fundraising-001.jpegFund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Our picks

• Wonderful news way to hang in. I hope this gives you some well deserved peace. 
    • If HadIt.com has helped you or you believe in it’s mission then please donate even $1 helps. I hope HadIt.com has provided $1’s worth of help to you. Imagine waking up and there is no HadIt.com it could happen and that is why I’m asking for your help now.

Our traffic is going up and so are our expenses, however revenues have gone down and so I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me keep Hadit.com up and running.
      • 4 replies
    • https://community.hadit.com/searching-for-va-claims-information-on-hadit.com/

Your question has probably been asked before so the fastest way to find the information you need is to search for it.
      • 3 replies
    • How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
scubasteveo0

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (Ibs) As A Presumptive Condition Denied

Question

My claim for ervice connection for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) as a presumptive service connected disability due to my service in the Gulf War per 38 C.F.R §3.317 was denied. Wondering how I can succesfully appeal.

VA DENIAL LETTER

“ Service connection is not permitted if there is affirmative evidence that the disability was unrelated to military service in the Gulf War. Service connection for unexplained chronic multi symptom illness to include irritable bowel syndrome is denied because evidence established that this disability result from poor diet and fitness.

Your service treatment records do not contain complaints, treatment, or diagnosis for this condition. We did not find a link between your medical condition and military service. On examination, the examiner indicated that your stated symptoms do not meet the criteria for a diagnosis for irritable bowel syndrome and are most likely the result of poor dietary and fitness habits.”

SERVICE INFORMATION & MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS:
I served in Southwest Asia during Operation Iraq Freedom. My unit did participate in ground combat in Iraq.

I have been diagnosed with IBS from VA medical doctor. I currently take both RX & non-RX medication for IBS. This information was submitted in my claim but not listed as evidence considered

C&P EXAM

Examined at VA Loma Linda. Examiner is a physican assistant. Examiner did not ask about fitness or diet patterns. Blue Button says I am unable to view the exam notes.

You need to file a NOD

VETERAN- NAME AND SSN I am filing this notice of disagreement for the claim issue IBS, which was denied on _________.

You need to address the issue that the reviewer is in error when providing an opinion your IBS is due to poor diet and fitness.

Filing IBS as a presumptive illness

Veterans discharged under conditions other than dishonorable who served in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations, which includes the areas specified in 38 CFR 3.317(e)(2), or in Afghanistan on or after September 19, 2001, may be entitled to disability compensation for certain diagnosed and undiagnosed disorders or for certain presumptive disorders, despite the fact that these disorders did not become manifest during qualifying service.

SO even if you do not have SMR's indicating you have IBS during service you can file it as a presumptive condition. Not Burn Pits. There have been none to very little success filing IBS as results of Burn Pits.

Once you identify to the VA you think is a direct result of something they find a way to shoot it down by asking you to provide a direct relationship to it.

Here is a letter BlastDaddy provided requesting service connection for IBS.

Dear Sir / Madame December 11, 2014

I am writing you to request: Entitlement to service connection for (IBS) irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea, to include as a qualifying chronic disability pursuant 38 C.F.R. 3.17

I am requesting the examiner to take into account the fact that IBS is a presumptive illness for this veteran under U.S.C. title 38 Section 1117 as passed by congress in 2001.

I am a Gulf War veteran. I have a diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I am being treated for this condition by the VA Medical Center.

The following test and treatment were perform by the VA:

Lab test (blood work): VA/ Aug 2014

Colonoscopy: VA/ Oct 2014

Lab test (blood work): VA/ Mar 2014

Stool sample: VA/ July 2014

Colonoscopy with Biopsy: Mar 2011

Surgical Pathology Report (Biopsy) Mar 2011

I am taking the following medications for IBS:

1. Psyllium Mucilloid once daily

2. Loperamide 1 tablet 4 times a day and after loose stool

3. Simethicone 1 tablet 4 times a day for gas

4.Pramoxine (for hemorrhoids caused by IBS)

The medical records reflect that I have a diagnosis of IBS. I served in Southwest Asia during the Persian Gulf War Era, and I am entitled to the application of the presumptive provisions of 38 U.S.C.A. 1117. All the legal requirements for establishing service connection for IBS are met; service connection for such disease is warranted.

Presumptive disorders will be considered to have been incurred in or aggravated by service even if there is no evidence of such disease during active service.

History of Condition:

Before and during military service up until the Gulf War I never had any problems with diarrhea. After returning from the Gulf War, I started having bouts of diarrhea that would last 1 to 3 days. I would have 12 to 15 episodes a year. I would take over the counter medicines (Imodium A-D) and the diarrhea would clear up.

In July, 2001 it was found by the VA during an exam for Gulf War that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome w/ occasional loose stool. And that the problem existed for at least the last 8 years prior to the exam. The IBS continued to progressively get worse causing bleeding. Bloody stools have been noted in medical records July 2001, Jan 2006, June, 2009 again 2011-2014.

Request for colonoscopys has been made due to Hematochezia. Each colonoscopy results were negative except for hemorrhoids. After the last colonoscopy conducted October 16, 2014 the recommendation of surgical hemorrhoidectomy be done.

Over the past years since July 2001, the symptoms of diarrhea have become chronic. The chronic diarrhea (IBS) has impact the performance of my daily activities and interaction with my family. I am having 5 to 8 bowel movement per day. The bowel movements are predominantly diarrhea and loose (mushy) to watery stool movement with urgency after eating has cause me to loses bowel control several times in the last 6 months, when I was not able to get to the restroom in time. Due to the stomach pain and frequent trips to the restroom because of IBS, I am unable to travel or visit others due to the need to have a restroom close at hand.

Thank you for your kind consideration of my request.

Respectfully submitted

• Like 3

What a douchebag PA! He basically said he thought you looked fat and lazy! Sorry for your hassles, freedomisntfree has some good advice above. You shouldn't have too much trouble refuting a PA, essentially a clerk who can give some meds. An IMO would probably be something to look into as well. Good luck!

Did your Service Records have any entries showing IBS issues while in service?  This is sometimes annotated as gastroenteritis, acute gastroenteritis, or abbreviated as "AGE".  If you can show that you had even 1 instance of AGE while in service, that would negate what that examiner attributes to "poor diet and exercise".

• Like 1

I just saw this, I had illness form chemicals and was also hospitalized with gastritis on active duty. I was also too sick to work with any chemicals any longer, jet fuel, gasoline, etc.. These and other hospitalizations and medical issues are on my active duty medical records. I spent many years begging the doctors for help telling them I was extremely sick, and was told I was mentally ill and had IBS. I developed a large mass in my intestinal area under my ribs. The doctors told me there was nothing there, After 20 years more pass by, They found a large mass on my pancreas. I went in for surgery and spent the next 6 months fighting for my life with a dying pancreas. inoperable, as they pissed away and time and hope that anything good could be done with my health and life. I was constantly denied as the years went by. I am at 60%, and have a bunch or problems including necrotizing pancreatitis, thrombosis, neurological disease, depression, and more. I finally got a BVA hearing for an 1151, and asked the judge to combine al my other claims which are in never, never land for many years. I even filed telling them that my disease is terminal and inoperable and to please speed up this long wait. They never answer to speeding that up. I even paid for an IMO for toxic chemicals to a doctor who specializes in toxic chemicals, but I have boxes of medical records and she charged $800, plus $600 per 1/2 inch or papers. it would cost a million dollars if I brought in my boxes of medical records.

So, as far as IBS, it's B.S./ term used to say it could be nothing or it could be the worst, IBS only means you are very sick and the doctors either can't find or are not looking properly. I gave them the exact symptoms, and they turned out to be the exact symptoms the medical community sees in pancreas disease, yet they said I was mentally ill and sent me to head doctors telling me to take mind altering drugs, because I was a drug seeker and mentally ill according to their tests. Just saying, 35 years after the first symptoms on active duty and am still waiting for a decision. 2008, 6 months in VA hospital with failed pancreas operations. Records on active duty showing illness and hospitalizations, and they still fight me. Although the BVA hearting decision maybe near. Best bet is to show medical record and show more than IBS, as IBS doesn't mean anything to them except that your suffering and the doctors are clueless. Sorry to take a dig at the VA claims people, but they don't know anything, They just rubber stamp. until proven otherwise. Wish I could take my pancreas disease put it in a needle and give it to the morons who caused me al this grief. Then they could see what it's like to wait for incompetent people to deny, deny until you die, to the same people whop do the denying.