Secondary for Depression - VA Disability Claims Research - VA Disability Community via Jump to content
VA Disability Community via

Search | Rules | Forums | VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

  • ask-your-va-disability-claims-question.png



  • 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

  • 0

Secondary for Depression

Rate this question



I've come to terms with the fact that I am depressed due to watching my physical condition deteriorate, the constant pain, lack of regular sleep, the impact of prescription drugs on my ability to concentrate, and the fact I can no longer do the things that used to bring me satisfaction and joy.  It was suggested that I apply for a secondary depression rating.  I have not seen a doctor.  I simply do my best to ignore this reality and keep my mind occupied by the more positive aspects of my life and feeling grateful for what I do have and the reality that I am much better off than many of my brothers and sisters on this website.  If any of you have been down this road and have successfully filed a claim I would sincerely appreciate your suggestions and guidance.

Thank you,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Content Curator/ Elder

It is not an uncommon problem to suffer from depression secondary to service connected ailments. Getting a referral to get the condition diagnosed and on record could help your claim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

see a psych, regardless of claim as secondary or not, whether VA or not, get yourself better.

i wouldnt worry about filing just yet, but if you will, start the claim now so the intent to file is sent and you save your place in line, go start seeing someone and as you get some time under your belt for treatment/medication and it starts looking like it is related to a SC, then i would take your exam notes, etc and go get a IME that provides that NEXUS (connection of current symptoms to a inservice event or secondary to a SC) and then submit that all with your claim.  if you start that claim now and get that intent to file sent you will have a year to get your clinical notes and IME in order.  most important thing is that you go get help and get better brother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use