Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary for Depression

Rate this question

green

Question

I've come to terms with the fact that I am depressed due to watching my physical condition deteriorate, the constant pain, lack of regular sleep, the impact of prescription drugs on my ability to concentrate, and the fact I can no longer do the things that used to bring me satisfaction and joy.  It was suggested that I apply for a secondary depression rating.  I have not seen a doctor.  I simply do my best to ignore this reality and keep my mind occupied by the more positive aspects of my life and feeling grateful for what I do have and the reality that I am much better off than many of my brothers and sisters on this website.  If any of you have been down this road and have successfully filed a claim I would sincerely appreciate your suggestions and guidance.

Thank you,

Green

Green

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It is not an uncommon problem to suffer from depression secondary to service connected ailments. Getting a referral to get the condition diagnosed and on record could help your claim.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

see a psych, regardless of claim as secondary or not, whether VA or not, get yourself better.

i wouldnt worry about filing just yet, but if you will, start the claim now so the intent to file is sent and you save your place in line, go start seeing someone and as you get some time under your belt for treatment/medication and it starts looking like it is related to a SC, then i would take your exam notes, etc and go get a IME that provides that NEXUS (connection of current symptoms to a inservice event or secondary to a SC) and then submit that all with your claim.  if you start that claim now and get that intent to file sent you will have a year to get your clinical notes and IME in order.  most important thing is that you go get help and get better brother.

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints