Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-file sent to someone else

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hello all,

Hope this isn't a repeat, I thought I wrote this yesterday evening, but now can't find it. 

Yesterday's mail brought a most interesting letter from the VA.  It was from the director of the records depot in St. Louis.  Apparently "they" sent my C-file to another Veteran.  That Vet's lawyer contacted the records office to inform them of their error.  I am still feeling quite beside myself about this.  Strangely enough, they didn't bother to send me my C-file with this letter.  So I still don't have it, but I have a letter saying someone else got it.

Lucky for me, they are offering me a free 1yr paid premium subscription to a credit monitoring service. 

I got a MH apt on Monday, not sure how that's gonna go, now, because of this. 

Any thoughts on what I should do now?  Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi.

Andy

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I like Buck's recommendation.

I also have found other people's medical records in my c-file. All the VA did was ask me to mail it back. No apology or concern. I asked if they were going to send me a postage paid envelope, but they said they couldn't do that (even though it was their fault). I went ahead and mailed it back, looking out for the other veteran who was probably never even made aware of this.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe  Andyman73  should send his RO a notarized letter stating he is holding the VA RO responsible for losing his c-file  with private medical records and his I identity in possible  jeopardy!  or seek a VA Attorney see if they can do anything about it?

I think I sure would!

jmo

...................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It almost makes me wonder if an 1151 could be filed if your identity was stolen due to VA stupidity

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Thanks, guys, for your words.  Yesterday I got a call from the director of the St. Louis records center, Mr. Richmond Laisure (sp?). He told me that Ms. Allison had emailed him Saturday evening.  He personally apologized and said that he knows who the offending employee is and that corrective measures have been taken.  He said that the Vet who did receive my C-file called them ASAP when he got it, and mailed it back ASAP as well.  I will be monitoring my credit very closely.  The VA offered me 1 year credit monitoring service for free, through an authorized provider.  I will be signing up for that.

I showed the letter to my MH doc, and told him that it set the tone for my whole weekend.  He noted it in my file. 

Semper Fi.

Andy