Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression, should I claim primary or secondary?

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hello,

I want to know, is it better to file for depression, my MH doc has DXd me with MDD, but didn't clarify as SC, or go for depression as secondary to chronic pain?  I have paper proof of NSAID usage since 1992 on AD and through the VA.  Thanks

Andy

Buck,

I am already seeing a MH doc.  I called 1-800-Peggy back in May, and they got me intouch with the care line folks, and I started seeing the MH in June. I've been to 4 sessions, so far.

I know you've been following my posts, as I have yours. So you may recall that I have said previously that I don't have any typical PTSD causative event.  But I did experience enough stress that lead me to nearly end my life and also begin drinking alcohol like a fish in water.

I haven't drank to get drunk since I left AD, but now I drink to get to sleep.  I found it's so much easier than popping sleeping pills, which I've done in the past while on AD and after. And the alcohol doesn't leave me feeling foggy when I get up for work. Even if I took the pills early in the evening I would still feel groggy in the am.

I truly dislike being in social situations, even when it's my own extended family. Most of them have little clue to what I am about.  I grew up as an Army brat, and then did 6yrs AD USMC. So most of my family doesn't really know me.  I'm always trying to get out of going to other social events with my wife, but sometimes I'm not so successful.  And I end up standing in a corner or near a door way, avoiding people like the plague.

Buck, as always I appreciate your view on things, since you are going through the whole MH deal as well.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh ok that your seeing the MH Dr's  

thats good  the sessions are suppose to help  but I have did 6 sessions so for and so for I don't feel any different   not any different than my wife telling me things  thats kinda how the therapist is doing.

as for as the meds making you feel foggy  let the Docs know this  they may cut you off of something or add a different med...they changed my med twice already.

so for the latest ones seem to help me sleep better and not wake up feeling all druggie or foggy headed..so let the Doc's Know how the meds make you feel  they can get it corrected.

as for as what it is that stressed you out  if its from your past military  let them MH Docs know about it, you don't need to be a combat soldier to have PTSD  you just need a traumatic event that happen in service if it was a enough to cause to want to end your life its pretty eventful so to speak!

So please come on out with it..you don't need to say  on here what it was  just tll your psychiatrist about it, we were all fine before we entered the military  they gave us all a physical and declared nothing was wrong with us...so now we went done our duty and  for a lot of us we get messed up along the way...even if it happens years after we get off AD..IT STILL HAPPENS TO A LOT OF VETERANS.

The things you describe are pointing toward PTSD or an unspecific behavior pattern...which basically  is server depression  and severe depression is a form of PTSD  MH can sort it all out...you could have  MMD like they said but from your post  It looks a lot like PTSD to me  but hey I'm no Doc

Good Luck with all this, I'm just letting MH handle Mine and try to do what they say, I have other NSC  disability's but trying to work through them the best I can  and my S.C. Hearing loss makes it tough to understand what is being said,   I have about 75% 80%of my hearing gone  I use hearing aids but  in a crowd they are useless.  this is my TDIU P&T disability  90% but rated 100% because I could no longer do any type work....hence the TDIU P&T

thats what I get TDIU P&T for  but now I am dealing with this PTSD Crap. and its not anything to feel ashamed about buddy.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

.....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Buck,

Thanks for your support.  I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what is the best SC to claim, for me. 

I have a small list of SCDs, 40% low back, 3%0 bilateral foot, 10% bilateral knees(low balled) 10% tinnitus, 10% hearing loss, 10% L ankle.  And I currently have claims in progress for secondary for bilateral hips, bilateral radiculopathy and R ankle.  I mailed out my evidence and statements for those just yesterday.  Next is will be MH, maybe the Depression due to chronic pain as secondary SC might be the best bet for me.  And then sleep apnea, alcohol addiction, IBS, and chronic sinus issues. 

I know it's nothing to truly be ashamed of, but that doesn't change how I feel.  I have told my MH about that, as to why I took so long to even look at MH treatment. You never hear anything about Vets like me, who don't have any combat or other type of traumatic experience, seeking treatment. 

Basically it was a combination of things, Unit deployed(but not me) Commanding General's Inspection(for which I was a part of the uniform issue insp. part, that was micromanaged to death by a control freak E-8), personal relationship issues, and work ops tempo, and health issues due to lack of sleep, chronic IBS and sinusitis, and alcohol on top.  Brain went into overload meltdown and out came the box cutter with brand new blade.

• HadIt.com Elder

OIC

Well just keep going to MH they can sort it all out and remember to tell the therapist about all your stressful events, just be honest and up front with them, you need to trully tell them how you feel in each and every session  if you have to change the topic/subject  to get your point across do so.

I am waiting on my C-file before I file my claim...I want to have everything I need to win this claim  I can't take a denial  that would just do it for me, so I want to make sure I have all my  records and all my evidence   and all of VA MH Notes in my favor.....I want to make it hard on those raters to deny me...even then they still can come up with a  cock & bull storey or reason to deny.

I learned  a lot from my last claim back in 2002. & priceless information here on Hadit.

Just keep going to MH and remember never give up  you will win  just have to give the a reason not to deny!

you will be ok  just hang in there Buddy.

..................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Buck,

Yeah, but I'm hoping the doc will be willing to talk about my service issues sooner, rather than later.

The meds I was referring to were for pain, not MH.  I've been taking pain meds since late 92, when I first got hurt. Some of the narc types are what caused me problems. I could take them when I didn't have to get up for work the next day, otherwise, they were a no go.  And some of them made me sick to my stomach and interfered with my "regularity", if you know what I mean. 

At my last session, the doc related one of his own issues he still deals with, so it eased my mind a little, to know he is human just like me. 

I do have my C-file, and already went through all 1090 pages, everything was there that I expected, plus some interesting other items.  Such as exam notes from late 99 and early 2000, where the one doc wanted to operate on my knee to clear out some cysts, as she thought they were the actual cause for my pain.  I never knew that, and she thought they may be the result of trauma(duh, when I fell down the stairs at boot camp).  That is info I coulda used for a claim 15 years ago!!! GRRRRR!!!  Sounds like a secondary to SCD claim to me.

I will keep on going, only got my life and my family to lose.  Don't want to end up going there.  I really appreciate your words, Buck! They help me to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Semper Fi.

Andy

Hello,

I want to know, is it better to file for depression, my MH doc has DXd me with MDD, but didn't clarify as SC, or go for depression as secondary to chronic pain?  I have paper proof of NSAID usage since 1992 on AD and through the VA.  Thanks

Andy

Hello,

Andy

andy, my depression was rated as secondary to chronic pain.