VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Effective Date Rules

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Source:  http://www.hillandponton.com/special-effective-date-rules-for-va-benefits/

, one of the most complicated aspects of VA law are the rules surrounding setting the effective date for an award of benefits. Because of this, and the fact that the VA often does not set the correct effective date, it is important to analyze any decision you get from the VA to determine whether the effective day is correct. Today we will discuss a particular rule about effective dates which has the potential to result in substantial retroactive benefits.

In order to illustrate how this rule works in practice, we will describe the case of a hypothetical veteran, Vet. Vet filed an initial claim for service connection for anxiety the month after he left service in 1989. He never heard anything from the VA about this claim and never followed up because he was having difficulty adjusting to civilian life and did not want to deal with the VA. Many years later, Vet is still having anxiety issues and is eventually diagnosed with PTSD. He files a claim for PTSD in August 2014. In July 2015, the VA issues a rating decision and grants him service connection for PTSD and sets the effective date as the date of his claim in August 2014. Is this correct?

The key here is whether Vet’s claim in 1989 was adjudicated or properly finalized and whether or not the anxiety that Vet claimed in 1989 is the same mental health condition that was eventually diagnosed as PTSD. In regards to the first question, a claim remains in a pending status when the VA has failed to notify a claimant of the denial of the claim, mail a copy of a Board decision, provide notice of appellate rights, or issue a Statement of the Case. In Vet’s case, he never received acknowledgement of his claim for anxiety in 1989 nor did he receive any correspondence from the VA denying his claim. Therefore, his claim remained pending until it was finally adjudicated in 2015.

Which bring us to the second question – is the PTSD that the veteran was eventually diagnosed with a continuation of the anxiety that he claimed in 1989? In order to get the effective date moved back to 1989, Vet will have to show that his anxiety after leaving service was really PTSD. The best evidence in this case would be an independent medical opinion by a psychiatrist or psychologist who can look at Vet’s mental health history and provide an opinion that the anxiety he suffered from in 1989 was in fact PTSD. If Vet is able to successfully argue this, he should be able to receive retroactive benefits back to the date after he left service in 1989.

Note that this special effective date rule gets more complicated if there are intervening claims between the initial claim that was never adjudicated and the later claim where the veteran was eventually awarded benefits. This is due to something known as the “implicit denial rule,” which means that if the VA denies benefits for an intervening claim, it typically cuts off the ability to get benefits all the way back to the initial unadjudicated claim. The question in such instance is whether the intervening claim could be considered a claim for the same benefit that was not adjudicated in the initial claim. In Vet’s case, if he had filed an intervening claim for a mental health condition in 2005, and that claim was denied, it is likely that he would be unable to get benefits back to the initial 1989 claim when he is eventually awarded benefits in 2015 due to the implicit denial rule. But if he filed a claim for a back condition in 2005, he should be able to argue that a denial of that claim is not an implicit denial of his pending anxiety claim from 1989.

As you can see, the area of law surrounding effective dates for VA benefits is dense and often frustrating for veterans. But there is also potential for substantial retroactive benefits if one of the special rules for effective dates applies, such as the rule regarding unadjudicated claims we discussed today. Therefore, it is always important to think about whether there is any way that you can argue that the VA set the wrong effective date for your claim so you receive all of the benefits to which you are entitled.

5 answers to this question

Thanks for posting this. I have a PTSD claim that began Dec2011 and I never received any information back from the VA regarding their decision. I never had a C&P exam, never got any letters or phonecalls- Nothing. Like the guy in the example above, I let it go because dealing with the emotional turmoil was too much for me to handle while I was trying to adjust to my new life outside the military. I finally called them in Feb2015 to ask what ever happened to my Dec2011 claim to which they replied...."ummm. ummmm. Whoops. Somehow it fell 'THROUGH THE CRACKS' and it was 'administratively closed' without notification to you."  What's more infuriating than that response is the the "letter" i received from the regional office trying to correct their mistake. It was a handwritten (i.e. "untraceable" as far as a paper trail is concerned) hand cut slip of paper (i'll attach a picture of it). I have been working very hard to get all my evidence together and I am hoping I can submit it to them soon and get a retro-dated  decision to at least Dec2011, although I feel the MDD for which I was rated 10% in 2010 was misdiagnosed and was really PTSD. At some points I feel like I'll take what I can get, because this fight is so draining and exhausting, but reading articles like these fuels my fire to keep going. Thank you again, for posting this! 

11960058_10206403260053241_3353649208309447161_n.jpg

Geez, that response from VA is a real hoot. I have never seen anything like that one yet....I guess they are trying to save paper...

http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files2/1312670.txt

This above case might help you.The veteran's initial claim was administratively closed.

But he had failed to respond to VA letters asd well as a C & P exam.

I am assuming that is not your case here.

The above vet had new and material evidence with which to re open the claim so BVA re opened it and sent it back to his VARO,.

"it was 'administratively closed' without notification to you." Was that reply just by phone or do you have any hard copy of that?

Did you have a vet rep on your POA in 2011?

You need to get a copy of your C file to see if the claim is in it (appears that it is because Peggy acknowledged it   Peggy is what we call  the 800#) and then to see if VA had sent you any notifications at all....otherwise it might still be an Open claim., and not one you have to reopen.

"was too much for me to handle while I was trying to adjust to my new life outside the military. "

Yes I can understand that...how soon after your discharge did you file this claim?

If the VA finds that they did not notify you properly nor take the steps they should have upon receipt of the claim, and if they deem it as still open, and if the claim was filed within the first year after your discharge, the EED would be the day after your discharge.

If you had a POA at that time they might still have a file on you and that should reveal what the VA sent to you, if they actually pursued the claim...properly.

I bet they didnt send you anything.Unless you moved and they didnt have your new address????

You could ask for higher rating of the MDD and also claim PTSD if you feel you fit into the new PTSD criteria here at hadit.I will bump that info up in the PTSD forum for you.

Did you need a stressor for the MDD claim or was there evidence in your SMRs of a MH issue?

I guess I am still having problems here as I could not bump it up---it is one of our most important topics, but here is the link:

PTSD diagnosis by VAMH provider is needed. IMO diagnoses wont be accepted.

If you are OIF/OEF this reg will help you, otherwise if you have the CAR or CIB on your DD 214 or can prove your stressor aand/or fear of and close proximity to hostile fire the VA should award the claim., if the MDD is re characterized as PTSD.

It might be easier ,if you feel the MDD rating is too low, to file for higher MDD rating.VA only pays comp fort one MH and the rating criteria is the same for all MHs.

The VA SChedule of Ratings here,a long doc' but down halfway on the doc is where they have criteria for ratings of all disabilities.

Edited by Berta

Berta, 

Yeah, I had to laugh at that "letter" as soon as I opened it. Good Lord. Now to answer some of your other questions. 

"it was 'administratively closed' without notification to you." Was that reply just by phone or do you have any hard copy of that?

-No, that's what the Rep said on the phone.

Did you have a vet rep on your POA in 2011?

-No, I didn't. I was flying the system blind, basically. 

You need to get a copy of your C file to see if the claim is in it (appears that it is because Peggy acknowledged it   Peggy is what we call  the 800#) and then to see if VA had sent you any notifications at all....otherwise it might still be an Open claim., and not one you have to reopen.

-The claim was outright closed. They never even tried to schedule me for an exam or anything. The claim went from open in 12/2011 to CLOSED in 2/2012 without any notification to me whatsoever. They claim they tried to call me and my phone number has been disconnected. LIES, my phone number has NEVER been disconnected. I've been on the phone with ATT for 2 hours today trying to get copies of my bills from 2012 to prove that (its damn near impossible unless you have a freaking court order, apparently. Their system only backlogs 16 months worth of bills). Also, they say they tried to reach me by letter. FALSE. I have 2 other letters I did receive from the VA in 2/2012 at that same address to prove that I indeed WAS living there and WAS receiving the letters they ACTUALLY sent. 

Yes I can understand that...how soon after your discharge did you file this claim?

-This claim was opened 21 months after discharge. So I missed the magic one year mark by a lot. 

I bet they didnt send you anything.Unless you moved and they didnt have your new address????

-I am willing to bet they never sent anything either, because I did indeed get things that they DID send, just nothing regarding this claim whatsoever. 

You could ask for higher rating of the MDD and also claim PTSD if you feel you fit into the new PTSD criteria here at hadit.I will bump that info up in the PTSD forum for you.

-Thank you, this is something I am considering for sure. 

Did you need a stressor for the MDD claim or was there evidence in your SMRs of a MH issue?

-There is evidence of a MH issue as  I was inpatient and outpatient at a MH facility while still in service.