Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA System/Ratings Assistance

Rate this question

chgofire

Question

To whom it may concern:

I came here to get some assistance, after doing 2 combat tours in the middle east, enduring an IED blast, losing some of my brothers, and the list goes on.  I've been on a battle for benefits since upon my return in late 2005/6 first rating was 30% then it has been an uphill battle since then I am currently at 90%.  However, it's almost next to impossible to get your 100%, I swear sometimes that the VA wants you to be dead instead of providing you with the benefits and entitlements that you deserved.  It's frustrating to say the least, personnel at the VA have the worst attitudes, and the thing is that they are there to provide us with a service but they don't care and these people have a job because of those who served their country.  But anyway, enough of my ranting.  How do I figure or calculate where I am as far as rating goes? These are my ratings 50% PTSD, 50% Headaches associated with TBI, 40% Residual from brain injury, 10% for wrist fracture.  I've been fighting to upgrade my rating for PTSD to max it out at 70%, I have lost my wife since I came back from combat, I have suffered from erectile dysfunction, upset stomach, pains in all of my joints, indigestion problems, weird rashes on my skin and red marks.  I have a terrible insomnia, the worst nightmares, I am prone to get extremely angry and upset, depressed, etc etc indulged in heavy drinking, suffer from panic attacks, and I tend to be loner.  My family doesn't understand me let alone my friends, well, not that I have that many friends to begin with anyway.  I get the worst migraines that I end up in the hospital, well I don't want to get too descriptive because I am not looking for a pity party nor do I want anyone to feel sorry for me.  That's not the case, I am just a fellow brother that's looking for assistance, I have lost my family due to my issues and its truly been a struggle.  I am sure that most whom I here share my same experience but I need help.  The American Legion assisted me with my claims process, now at this moment I am working with DAV.  So I am looking for guidance, suggestions.  To all of my fellow brothers and sisters who have served in combat, thank you for your understanding and support.

With 90% now, are you still employed?

If not,has the DAV advised you to file for TDIU (paid at the 100% rate)

If you are unemployed. do you get SSDI solely for the service connected disabilities?

Is your current claim for a higher PTSD rating?

To get to 70% for PTSD would trigger the VA to consider you for TDIU, whether you raised that issue or not...if you are unemployed or have wages below the Poverty Level.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

The Crazy one here,

I have suffered from erectile dysfunction, upset stomach, pains in all of my joints, indigestion problems, weird rashes on my skin and red marks.  I have a terrible insomnia, the worst nightmares, I am prone to get extremely angry and upset, depressed, etc etc indulged in heavy drinking, suffer from panic attacks, and I tend to be loner. 

It seems that you have a lot going on, be forewarned that the higher you go to get a mental health rating VA may claim that you are incompetent to manage your own finances.   For these conditions you can always file/open new claims.  For these symptoms you need to make sure you report them to your mental health provider when you are in a treatment session.  If you are seeking to get 100% schedular the higher you get in disability percentages the harder it is to get to the 100% rating.  As Berta has said, you can always apply for TDIU and SSDI. 

Welcome Aboard and as stated above you have to be careful, as VA and SSDI found me to crazy to Manage my affairs and no Weapons for rest of Life. In my case I have a Very Supportive and Loving Wife so it does not bother me at all. Good Luck and God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

To whom it may concern:

I came here to get some assistance, after doing 2 combat tours in the middle east, enduring an IED blast, losing some of my brothers, and the list goes on.  I've been on a battle for benefits since upon my return in late 2005/6 first rating was 30% then it has been an uphill battle since then I am currently at 90%.  However, it's almost next to impossible to get your 100%, I swear sometimes that the VA wants you to be dead instead of providing you with the benefits and entitlements that you deserved.  It's frustrating to say the least, personnel at the VA have the worst attitudes, and the thing is that they are there to provide us with a service but they don't care and these people have a job because of those who served their country.  But anyway, enough of my ranting.  How do I figure or calculate where I am as far as rating goes? These are my ratings 50% PTSD, 50% Headaches associated with TBI, 40% Residual from brain injury, 10% for wrist fracture.  I've been fighting to upgrade my rating for PTSD to max it out at 70%, I have lost my wife since I came back from combat, I have suffered from erectile dysfunction, upset stomach, pains in all of my joints, indigestion problems, weird rashes on my skin and red marks.  I have a terrible insomnia, the worst nightmares, I am prone to get extremely angry and upset, depressed, etc etc indulged in heavy drinking, suffer from panic attacks, and I tend to be loner.  My family doesn't understand me let alone my friends, well, not that I have that many friends to begin with anyway.  I get the worst migraines that I end up in the hospital, well I don't want to get too descriptive because I am not looking for a pity party nor do I want anyone to feel sorry for me.  That's not the case, I am just a fellow brother that's looking for assistance, I have lost my family due to my issues and its truly been a struggle.  I am sure that most whom I here share my same experience but I need help.  The American Legion assisted me with my claims process, now at this moment I am working with DAV.  So I am looking for guidance, suggestions.  To all of my fellow brothers and sisters who have served in combat, thank you for your understanding and support.

• HadIt.com Elder

you could disagree with the decision about the 50% PTSD Rating...it looks to me like they low balled you (According to your systoms)  you should have got a higher rating than 50% at least 70% if not 100% for PTSD.

if this keep you from working finding gainful employment  then by all means file for the TDIU.& Apply for SSDI.

JMO

...................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

As others will tell you, go for the unemployability benefit. Not only does it get you 100%, you get exchange and commissary privileges, special additional $ compensation.  Someone with more knowledge can give you more information.